The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Our baserunning is very exceptional. We drafted our team that all players have good speed. In a recent softball game, I again ran my players very aggressively. There was a flyball between 2nd and 1st which the 2nd baseman caught and I agressively ran both my 2nd base runner and 3rd base runner to advance after the catch. I payed close attention to my 3rd base runner to ensure she tagged. She tagged and scored easily. The umpire stated he called time and sent my runners back to their original bases. He then made the comment that I am way ahead in the game and why and I sending my runners. I said nothing. He then went to the manager of our team and gave me a warning. We finally won the 2 hr and 25 minute game that should only take 1 hr & 15 minutes for a 7 inning softball game. His strike zone made it very difficult for both teams...28 walks. The first game this umpire had with us there were 38 walks and the game took 2 hrs and 35 minutes. Recently we lost and that umpire came up to me and said that maybe we would have won if he umpired. At least you would have had alot of walks.

I said nothing to him. How should I handle this situation?

Thank you
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If FP, this is wrong:
"The umpire stated he called time and sent my runners back to their original bases. "

If sports, this is wrong:
"He then made the comment that I am way ahead in the game and why and I sending my runners. I said nothing. He then went to the manager of our team and gave me a warning."

You might ask that umpire or his assigner to not have him on your games. On the field, there's nothing you can do.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is none of the umpire's business how you play the game, as long as it is legal.

You don't way what age level, but I assume fairly young. Since you say you "drafted" your team, I am assuming it is a rec league. Agressive base running in a rec league when you have a substantial lead will not likely make you a favorite with the other coaches. (But, as I said, it was none of the umpire's busines.)

The umpire should not be calling TIME while a play is in progress. ASA rules say this explicitly in Rule 10-8E. I would guess other rule books would have a similar rule under the "umpire guidelines" secton.

It is bordering on a violation of ethics for an umpire to suggest your team would have won if he had been calling the game - it could be interpreted as favortism.

Maybe this guy (28 walks in one game; 38 in another) is the umpire Coachtindell has been complaining about!

Anyway, what can you do? You may want to tell the umpire association's UIC and/or your league commissioner what you told us. Someone in authority over this umpire needs to talk with him.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I meant to say, Coach, welcome to the board!