The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Batter/Runner Outside Running Lane

Hey guys,

Now that the snow is off the ground here in Northern Michigan, we had our first FED game last night. Things went pretty smoothly except for one particular play. We got together (2 umps) to discuss this to make sure we got it right, but after the game, we couldn't find this in the book. I again looked this morning, and the FED rule book and case book don't seem to cover this specific situation either. I see a few "carry overs" from other interference calls but nothing specific. Can you help me find what I'm looking for?

Here's the situation. R1 on first, stealing on the pitch...not that it matters much. One out. B2 lays down a bunt. It's fielded by the catcher. His throw is to the inside of the line and nails B2 in the back. B2 is NOT in the running lane but is completely inside the foul line. The ball bounces away, he lands at second, R1 at third before they finally hear us screaming "dead ball!" No problem, we have B2 out. The question is where to put R1.

After getting tegether we decide he needs to stay at first...interference call on Batter/Runner would put him where he was at the time of the pitch. Coach argues that he was stealing, holds no water with me...at time of pitch he had not gained second. But he HAD gained second at the time of the interference. Did we do right to send him back to first? I need a rule please!
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

You did right. Read the rule about interference. It clearly states what to do with the runners. Back to where they were at TOP.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree with mcrowder. Runners reutnr to base occupied TOI.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with bob. runners return to base occupied at time of interference. there are several case plays in 8.4.2 that address this issue.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:17pm

I can see why mccrowder says TOP and bob jenkins says TOI. It is not specifically spelled out in 8-4-1g.

In the BRD, play 273, Carl says in FED it is the Time Of Interference. In NCAA it is the TOP unless there is an intervening play. In OBR, it's TOI according to Rule 2.00 INTERFERENCE (a).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
i agree with bob. runners return to base occupied at time of interference. there are several case plays in 8.4.2 that address this issue.
I only see similar examples of interference in 8-4-2. The rule in question is 8-4-1g, and there are no examples in the Case Book 8-4-1 dealing with running lane violations.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I can see why mccrowder says TOP and bob jenkins says TOI. It is not specifically spelled out in 8-4-1g.

In the BRD, play 273, Carl says in FED it is the Time Of Interference. In NCAA it is the TOP unless there is an intervening play. In OBR, it's TOI according to Rule 2.00 INTERFERENCE (a).
According to J/R, in OBR the runners would be returned to TOP in this case.

Quote:
If a batter-runner has not yet touched or passed first base at the time of interference, all runners not out must return to their TOP base...
For there to be "running lane interference", the BR cannot have reached/passed 1B at the time of interference.

JM
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

according to a minor league ump i worked with today, it is TOI. although, there definitely seem to be some similar plays that indicate it is TOP when interference is called.

btw, the minor league ump was scheduled to work AA this year. this afternoon we worked a juco DH together. he indicated that he told the assigner that he didn't want to take any games from local guys - especially since he is hopeful that we won't be accepting any minor league assignments. the assigner assured him that he was needed to cover the game. it is the only local game that he is doing while waiting to start his season. he was also very pissed at some other local college guys who have accepted scab assignments. he assured me that word will spread quickly about the scabs and if they have any aspirations about going to pro school they ought to forget it.

overall and great guy. excellent ump, good to work with. lots of instruction and pointers. great to work with a guy who is really on top of his game.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
According to J/R, in OBR the runners would be returned to TOP in this case.
Agreed. For OBR, it's TOP, unless there's been an intervening play. In that case, it's TOI.