View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Batter/Runner Outside Running Lane

Hey guys,

Now that the snow is off the ground here in Northern Michigan, we had our first FED game last night. Things went pretty smoothly except for one particular play. We got together (2 umps) to discuss this to make sure we got it right, but after the game, we couldn't find this in the book. I again looked this morning, and the FED rule book and case book don't seem to cover this specific situation either. I see a few "carry overs" from other interference calls but nothing specific. Can you help me find what I'm looking for?

Here's the situation. R1 on first, stealing on the pitch...not that it matters much. One out. B2 lays down a bunt. It's fielded by the catcher. His throw is to the inside of the line and nails B2 in the back. B2 is NOT in the running lane but is completely inside the foul line. The ball bounces away, he lands at second, R1 at third before they finally hear us screaming "dead ball!" No problem, we have B2 out. The question is where to put R1.

After getting tegether we decide he needs to stay at first...interference call on Batter/Runner would put him where he was at the time of the pitch. Coach argues that he was stealing, holds no water with me...at time of pitch he had not gained second. But he HAD gained second at the time of the interference. Did we do right to send him back to first? I need a rule please!