Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Our umpire group requires that umpires buy fitted hats from the association.

We get sized umpire hats with embroidered Four Letter emblem and we pay less than $10.00 per hat.

Less than $10.00 per hat guys.

We offer everything from 4 stitch comb hat through 7 stitch (8 stitch if you order the year before).

$10.

T
I buy hats from whomever I want. I normally buy the pro-mesh hats from Honig's, but I do like the Flex-Fit in terms of fit. I don't know if I'd like them on the plate or not, but they're great on the bases.

Why do umpire associations or leagues feel the need to put their logos on hats anyway? What's wrong with a plain hat?
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

?

The umpires working the "AFLAC Future's All-Star High School Game" this afternoon from Maryland have "blank" hats.

It actually looks funny.

Let me reask you a version of your question:

"Why woujldn't an association want to look as "professional" as possible.

All Oregon High School umpires are required to wear logo's hats (the logo of their local association).

T
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

None of the associations I work for have a logo. So I use plain hats from Honigs, unless somebody running a tournament gives me a hat to wear at the tournament. The ones I have been given most recently with a logo are the flex fit, and they look like a fitted hat. My shirts have no logos either and none of the associations I work for require a number, so I don't use one. So my hats and shirts can be worn anywhere.

[Edited by DG on Aug 13th, 2005 at 06:03 PM]
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

DG

We don't have numbers because of number of umpires.

We have 180 guys so the only numbers that fit look like a cub scout troop.

To be able to work the American Legion State Tourney in Oregon you must buy your own (fitted) American Legion hat.

They do not allow either a plain hat or a local logo.

They do however require the crew of the championship game to wear Hawaiian Shirts.

Go figger!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Let me just say this about the hats, the dancing and the rest of the crap with the LLWS......

Little League Sucks!
The LLWS is a joke! It's just a commercial thing now.
LL umpires who waste their time and money going there are nuts!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking LLWS

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Let me just say this about the hats, the dancing and the rest of the crap with the LLWS......

Little League Sucks!
The LLWS is a joke! It's just a commercial thing now.
LL umpires who waste their time and money going there are nuts!

Gee Ozzy, why don't ya tell us how you really feel about it!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ozzy, there's a typo in your sig.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta be a small piece of his mind - it isn't a big mind to start with.

So Ozzy, care to let us know what happened along the way that resulted in your opinion of LL?

I "get" Tee's position - there are standards for how things are done and LL doesn't meet them.

But your position seems more deeply rooted.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
At lesast his mind is big enough to acurately describe LL.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

As I have already said, Gerry Davis, +POS and Honig's all sell fitted caps for the same price as adjustable caps.

This is not a price issue. Some people wonder why being called a LL umpire is a bad thing. This is a prime example of why the previous sentence is true.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
As I have already said, Gerry Davis, +POS and Honig's all sell fitted caps for the same price as adjustable caps.

This is not a price issue. Some people wonder why being called a LL umpire is a bad thing. This is a prime example of why the previous sentence is true.
Exactly why? Like I said before, exactly who, besides the umpire fashion plates, really cares? Nobody mentioned it on ESPN the last few nights.

Personally, I wear nothing but fitted hats. Always have. But if someone gave me an adjustable hat to wear at a tournament, I would put it on without a second thought.

BTW, all the umpires are provided Honig's shirts, too, specifically embroidered for the tournament.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
BTW, all the umpires are provided Honig's shirts, too, specifically embroidered for the tournament.
I assume the tournament guys ask the umpires what size shirt they wear. Why can't they do the same thing for the hats?

Some LL guy in Calif. said that he can't get them because they cost too much. But they don't.

I know for sure, if I was calling a game that was on ESPN, I would not be wearing an adjstable hat. Maybe if LL didn't scam the umpires out of game fees, a few of them might have bought some fitted hats on their own.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I got a picture of Ben Franklin that says not as much as a single umpire at regions ot Williamsport think they are being scammed out of game fees.

Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got a picture of Ben Franklin that says not as much as a single umpire at regions ot Williamsport think they are being scammed out of game fees.
Yeah I know. They have been brainwashed into thinking that they should work for free. With all the money that LL saves by not paying game fees, I would have thought they would have been able to afford fitted hats for the umpires.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gee Rich, you want to match mind games? We've done this before, you know.

Quote:
So Ozzy, care to let us know what happened along the way that resulted in your opinion of LL?
Short memory, buddy. Done it several times on another board, twice for you! I guess you are experiencing a memory problem.

Quote:
I "get" Tee's position - there are standards for how things are done and LL doesn't meet them.

But your position seems more deeply rooted.
Deeper than you or anyone would care to deal with. In 20 years, nothing has changed. Fact is I woke up and realized that the whole LL thing is a joke. It's a nice thing to start out with, but after a while, you realize that there is more to life than a 60' diamond. Bronco and Pony is just catching on here. What a refreshing change! Kids playing real baseball - not LL crap!

But then, when your whole life is trying to get to Williamsport to umpire on TV for nothing and line dance on the foul line, I guess I cannot convince you that the whole concept is lunacy. That is unless you got paid to do LL - then you can't go anywhere! SOrry, I'll stick with 90' diamonds and upper level. You guys can do it for the kids!