View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

A myriad of ways

I've been paid so many different ways it's not funny...

I've "worked" for three different HS assignors in NC. Here's their method and philosophy:

1) Get paid at the site. If they don't have a check for you, don't work the game.

2) Don't get paid at the site. Money is sent to assignor who deducts a one-time per season booking fee and sends you a check every two weeks.

3) Current assignor- Get paid at site. If they have a problem getting you the check, work the game and he will handle it. This worked great until this year when several schools changed finance secretaries and on three occasions there wasn't a check at game site. Eventually collected the money but it took a while.

AAU and Summer Ball

They typically write a check to you after the tournament or in the case of summer leagues every 1-2 weeks for games you have worked. If a City sanctions the league, then payment is made by check from the government and you can always expect a 1099.

Legion and travel teams

The athletic officer or head coach typically pays you and it can be by check or cash. In case it's cash, they will usually wait until they get enough at the gate to make the fee. In one instance this year, we had to get paid after the game and my partner had made an OOO type call. We had to hear about it while the coach wrote our checks.

A lot of small ball leagues and post season tourneys will pay cash on site. I hate working with someone who has been conditioned under that system. All they want to do is complain if they're not getting cash at the site. I came up in the early days under the get paid by check every two weeks system. Also, as a state employee, I only get paid once a month, so I am used to "check is in the mail" philosophy

Lawrence