The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Is there a minimum play rule for 10 yr old Dizzy Dean AllStar? Regular league season was 2 innings. I noticed that 3 players on our local AllStar team were on the bench the entire tournament games.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burtf51
Is there a minimum play rule for 10 yr old Dizzy Dean AllStar? Regular league season was 2 innings. I noticed that 3 players on our local AllStar team were on the bench the entire tournament games.

http://dizzydeanbbinc.org/bbminor.htm
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there any limit to how low this forum can sink? We're already overrun with little league major's questions. Now we're down to 10 year olds. What's next? Let me be the first to ask a T-ball question.

Is there a minimum and maximum height for the tee? Are players allowed to set the tee to their preferred height or do they have to take what is given?

OK, T-ball experts, here's your chance. Anyone? Rut?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Thanks DG, I looked there but maybe I missed the specific rule. I'll check again.

Bob Lyle, sorry to have infringed on your territory. You are a definate asset to this forum and a very kind person to boot. I hope your reply makes you feel like a bigger man.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks DG, I looked there but maybe I missed the specific rule. I'll check again.
That's because there ain't one. Minimum play rules are most often local rule additions, except maybe LL which I think has one, even at Williamsport.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

Why do you go to an "umpire site" and ask coaching questions?

Bob's point (although written like I would normally write something) is well taken.

DG was kind in doing the research for a coach . . . good for him. HOWEVER, the question would have been better received if asked a EteamSleeze.

Umpires should worry about umpire issues, not social ones.

Again, if players and coaches didn't lie and cheat you wouldn't even NEED umpires.

Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys, I didn't realize this was a umpire site (officiating) should have been my clue.

I'll take leave and let you all return to your regular scheduled program.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

I'll disagree. I find it a very valid umpire question, as it pertains to the rules of the game. If you're officiating in that organization, you'd better darn well know that rule.

Some folks here turn up their nose at youth baseball, and will post childish retorts. I find that rather ironic.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 06:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
I'll disagree. I find it a very valid umpire question, as it pertains to the rules of the game. If you're officiating in that organization, you'd better darn well know that rule.

Some folks here turn up their nose at youth baseball, and will post childish retorts. I find that rather ironic.
The only thing I need to know in these games is how to take a protest. It's not an umpiring issue AT ALL.

I umpire LL tournament play every season, but I agree with Bob and Tee -- the quality of stuff is sliding faster than ever before.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Nooo,

It is NOT an UMPIRE question.

It is not the umpire's job, period.

It is NOT to do with "youth baseball", bubba. Even FED in some states have similar rules.

Again it is not the umpires job (except in FED played in Texas) to handle the issue. It is a coaching issue.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

"It is not the umpire's job, period."

It depends on which rules are in effect.

In Little League (and the teen divisions Junior League and Senior League), a playing time violation is handled via protest, and the protest has to be made to the umpires before they leave the field.

And although some of you don't give a RA, others do.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree Rich. An umpire needs to know nothing about the minimum play rule. An umpire only needs to know how to take a protest.

Unless the umpire is actually keeping track of substitutions at the little league level.... And I would find that hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
"It is not the umpire's job, period."

It depends on which rules are in effect.

In Little League (and the teen divisions Junior League and Senior League), a playing time violation is handled via protest, and the protest has to be made to the umpires before they leave the field.

And although some of you don't give a RA, others do.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
I disagree Rich. An umpire needs to know nothing about the minimum play rule. An umpire only needs to know how to take a protest.

Unless the umpire is actually keeping track of substitutions at the little league level.... And I would find that hard to believe.
In both regular season and tournament play, Little League has some fairly complicated substitution/re-entry rules that must be tracked by the plate umpire. In some locales, some, most or all of these tracking responsibilities are delegated to an official scorer. These rules stand separate from the mandatory play regulation.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe people would want to protest a game in little league anyways. I mean seriously.... who cares? That's not what LL is all about.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt

This has nothing at all to do with the game. This is the same thing as asking a question about how many innings pitchers can pitch in a day/week or whatever.