The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Yesterday, I was in the midst of a situation, and I'd like some advice, feedback, input, etc.

When I returned to my Association after four years in retirement, they returned me to my office: Vice-President. Our constitution makes the VP the Training and Program Director. The president appointed to me other old job, Rules Interpreter.

We're approaching play-off time, and tomorrow we have to submit the names of our officials who are members in good standing.

The State Board several years ago, while I was a member, adopted a rule that no umpire could be accepted for playoffs without attending a three- and four-man clinic. (The schools in my area always use four.) A local chapter could suspend the rule, if it chose.

On 5 January, the calendar of events and meeting dates was given to every umpire. The Board set two dates for the 3/4 clinic: 3 and 10 April. An umpire who wanted play-off games had to attend one.

Each clinic was three-and-a-half hours, complete with drills: We used runners, a varsity coach hit fungos to outfielders, and we drilled/drilled/drilled. Last night at our regular meeting, each umpire, even those who did not attend the training, received a 10-page handout, which I wrote, outlining our coverage.

One of last year's play-off umpires did not make either clinic. Last night at the Board meeting he presented a letter asking to be excused from attendance; he wanted his name back on the list. He pointed out that he didn't attend events on Sundays because of a family matter. His sister had died, and everyone gathered on Sunday to commemorate/remember the event. His sister died more than two years ago.

I argued that a family meeting such as that could be moved earlier or later, especially since two years had passed for a healing to take place.

I argued that every person who attended the clinic would now be open to the charge of being stupid: Why go out next year and spend more than four hours getting to, staying in, and coming from a clinic? Oh, the rule says you won't be in good standing. It does? It didn't say that for Hector (I'll call him).

I argued that baseball umpires should, more than most officials, believe in the rule of law. We operate by the rules, I said.

I argued that the list of umpires who missed the clinic included more than 20 former playoff umpires. If you return this umpire to the list, you will have to return them all, I said.

We voted by secret ballot. The vote was 5-4, and Hector is now a certified play-off umpire.

I immediately resigned my position on the Board.

The president of the chapter informed me by email this morning that I was still the rules interpreter - if I wanted it.

What, if anything, did I do wrong?