View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting

Carl, you always challenge us. As a professional ethicist, I feel called upon to toss my hat in this ring.

I'm not sure that I know enough about the case you describe to determine whether I would have done as you did. The state allowed local groups to make exceptions, and yours did following a duly cast ballot, and so procedurally nothing seems to be amiss. So far, no dramatic action seems in order.

Still, the procedure might have been corrupted, if the board voted based on their relationship with the umpire rather than on the merits of his case for an exception. To know this, I would have to know the board members and umpire as well as you do.

One of the considerations is surely the precedent that this decision sets. Requiring a mechanics clinic ahead of playoff work is a reasonable requirement, and you don't want to undermine that. But that's just one of the considerations. You also don't want your board to acquire the reputation of being harda$$es who ignore the legitimate concerns of its membership. And I agree with the posters who urge caution when dealing with others' grieving practices.

One of the best points so far was this one: the mechanics clinic is required, so if an umpire chooses to do something else instead of attending the clinic, then the board should honor his choice and not assign him playoff work. This reasoning might have been decisive for me, had I been on the board, but it would also depend on the level of the umpire and his knowledge of the requisite mechanics. I can imagine a case with a hard-working, thoroughly knowledgeable umpire who is a good association-citizen and just can't make the clinics. Again, I don't know enough about the individuals involved to sort this out.

I think that there is a scenario of corrupt board members that would justify resigning from the board. But you know those folks pretty well, right? If they were corrupt, would you have joined the board in the first place? You might, if you were doing your part to improve the quality of the board... so this point is not decisive either.

On the other hand, an honest disagreement about whether this strange case counts as an exception for purposes of getting this umpire into the playoffs would not, I think, justify resigning.

Perhaps you could tell us a little more?