The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:42pm
In Memoriam

A potential problem never manifested itself. But What if?

In the "need to win" bracket (or whatever it's called, cuz there are no losers in LL. ) after a batted ball, the B catcher received a throw from the right side, and an A runner from second rounded third and was three strides from the B catcher who was, by then, holding the thrown ball in the baseline 3 feet from the plate and waiting to apply the tag.

The A runner, leading with his bent forearms, finished the three strides into the catcher, knocking over and injuring the catcher. Due to adjudged malicious contact, the runner was called out, and the runner was ejected. No problem so far. A coaches were embarrassed.

But now to the essence of the potential problem.

Team B brought only nine players to the game. Team A brought 10 players. (Why teams do this I can only imagine and will save my opinion for another time.) With the ejection of A runner, A still could field nine. Because the B catcher "toughed it out", B remained able to play with nine.

What would/could/should we have done if the B catcher would have been unable to complete the game due to the malicious contact of the A runner?

Thanks.
mick

Reference :
3.03 Note 2 - If during a game either team is unable to place nine players on field, opposing manager shall select....
4.17 - If during a game either team is unable to place nine players on field, opposing manager may select.... If no players are available for reentry or if team refuses to place nine players on the field, this shall not be grounds for automatic forfeiture....
Note - A game may not be continued with less than nine (9) players on each team.

Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Don't do LL but...

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
A potential problem never manifested itself. But What if?

In the "need to win" bracket (or whatever it's called, cuz there are no losers in LL. ) after a batted ball, the B catcher received a throw from the right side, and an A runner from second rounded third and was three strides from the B catcher who was, by then, holding the thrown ball in the baseline 3 feet from the plate and waiting to apply the tag.

The A runner, leading with his bent forearms, finished the three strides into the catcher, knocking over and injuring the catcher. Due to adjudged malicious contact, the runner was called out, and the runner was ejected. No problem so far. A coaches were embarrassed.

But now to the essence of the potential problem.

Team B brought only nine players to the game. Team A brought 10 players. (Why teams do this I can only imagine and will save my opinion for another time.) With the ejection of A runner, A still could field nine. Because the B catcher "toughed it out", B remained able to play with nine.

What would/could/should we have done if the B catcher would have been unable to complete the game due to the malicious contact of the A runner?

Thanks.
mick

Reference :
3.03 Note 2 - If during a game either team is unable to place nine players on field, opposing manager shall select....
4.17 - If during a game either team is unable to place nine players on field, opposing manager may select.... If no players are available for reentry or if team refuses to place nine players on the field, this shall not be grounds for automatic forfeiture....
Note - A game may not be continued with less than nine (9) players on each team.

I don't do LL but sounds like the game is over if they don't have 8.

Now let me play devil's advocate. Team brings 9 players, (stupid coaches) so their opponent takes out a player on purpose (like the play above) and that team wins the game due to forfeit.

gotta love it.

thanks
David
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire would suspend the game, pending a ruling from the TD.

Anyones guess on the outcome.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

9.01(c), suspended game until a future time. I don't think we can allow one team to win by forfeit because the other team made malicious contact, injured the catcher, and thereby removed the 9th player. That just ain't right.
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say it had to be right???

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
9.01(c), suspended game until a future time. I don't think we can allow one team to win by forfeit because the other team made malicious contact, injured the catcher, and thereby removed the 9th player. That just ain't right.
I agree, but if the rules are as mick quoted above that's what it says?

Of course, I don't understand why they let teams come to a tourney anyway with less than 12 players, but I see more and more of it.

Hey another twist would be a HBP. That's not malicious and the team still wins. Of course it would have to injure the player but that happens all the time.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:26pm
In Memoriam

LL forfeits

District administrator says to give all forfeit questions to the Regional Director.
In regular season play, give potential forfeits to Local Board.
That's easy enough.

"Here ya go. Boss. Call me if you need me."
mick