Thread: gerry davis
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
As this becomes more popular, how far are we aware from some sort of forearm guard becoming standard issue for plate umps.

One question for those of you who call baseball and softball - using GD, do you have any problems picking up the ball from the softball release point? Do you find yourself inching over a little to compensate in softball like they describe for a batter crowding the plate in baseball?
I've used the Gerry Davis stance for over two seasons. I'm 66, and yet I've called as many as four Youth games in a row (14u/115 time limit) without fatigue.

(Have you seen that ad for a drug that reduces fatigue? A spokesperson says: "One sympton of fatigue is feeling tired." No kidding!)

Don't "scoot over." That destroys one of the principal advantages of GD. DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU LOSE SIGHT OF THE PITCHER'S RELEASE POINT.

So, when you stay in the GD stance, you WILL get hit on the forearms, especially in lower-level ball, i.e., high school and down. Well, ....

I solved the problem of forearm guards, thanks to Wal-Mart. Go to Sports, Youth Soccer, shin guards. Buy a pair of 8-inch (hard plastic over soft rubber) guards. Cost? About $3 I think.

Then go to UnderArmour.com and buy a pullover longsleeve garmet. (You don't have to do that, but if you don't, you'll have to answer questions about the "funny" extra padding. Since I love UnderArmour, my choice was a no-brainer.)

As James Cagney said in Footlight Parade: "My headache's gone!"