Thread: gerry davis
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Tried it on Saturday for the first time. My back was killing me. I suspect I'm doing something wrong, as it was only 2 games.

I did, however, feel like I had a better look at the zone, and I didn't get hit once.
mcrowder:
Here are the salient points for using the GD stance:

1. Put your nose on the black edge of the plate nearer the batter.

2. Stand at least an arm’s length behind the catcher: one good step. If a coach begins to chirp about your calls on the low pitch, back up farther.

3. Place your feet about 6 to 8 inches wider than your shoulders. You need a good, wide, rock-steady foundation.

4. Come to the set position well before the pitcher begins any preliminary movements.

5. Rest your hands on your knees, just like the umpire does in the infield. The point: In the usual stance the umpire uses his muscular structure to maintain his calling position. In the GD stance all that is taken care of by the skeletal structure. Bones, not sinew, keep you in place. Bones, not muscles, support your weight.

6. Don’t shift your position unless the batter blocks your view of the pitcher’s release point.

7. I haven’t found this necessary, but.... If you feel any fatigue at all, you might try dropping your seat an inch or so at the time of the pitch.

8. Advantages of this stance: (1) You’re set well before the pitch. (2) You see the pitch from about the same perspective every time. (3) You place no strain on your muscles.

Remember, I’m 66 and this past July (95 to 100 degrees) I called four straight games (14u/115 time limit) behind the plate. Gerry Davis and UnderArmour kept me fresh, cool, and collected for over nine hours.

Now, I didn’t run a marathon afterwards, but I did take my wife to a late movie — and managed to stay awake.