The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
Well, I have done it - on several occasions. In each case, it was because the visiting team didn't show up or didn't have sufficient players. I tell the home team coach that it is a forfeit and it should be officially entered as a 7-0 win.

No incident report. No forms to fill-out. No paperwork, whatsoever. I received no phone call from my assignor. The forfeiting school made no objection. There was no inquiry by the administrators of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, the governing body for all high school sports in my state.

That's what happened.
I suppose this may vary greatly across this vast country of ours.

In Houston, even in cases where the rulebook says we forfeit the game... all we really do is suspend the game and notate the circumstances and reason. Districts or leagues then make the final decision.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
This is something that may be different in other States so you need to check with the State Association.

In CT, there must be a approved, adult coach present or the game is over. No parents are allowed. So in CT, if you eject the only coach, from the field, the players may as well follow to the bus.
I don't think we've ever received any guidance on this situation in our area. There does not seem to be any rulebook justification for a forfeit. So, I guess the way I'd handle it is to do like you do in Connecticut. I'd end the game and report the incident to the state organization and let them deal with it.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
Per rule, an ejected coach is required to leave the vicinity and have no contact with his players.

What if he was the only coach?

Can high school players be permitted to continue the game coachless?

Can a parent come forward and coach the team from the dugout? Can a school administrator who happened to be at the field coach the team from the dugout? (I say "from the dugout" because it is highly unlikely they will be in uniform.)

Consider that HS baseball is still a YOUTH sport. That being said there must be an adult available at all times to supervise the team. Same reasoning why an ejected player is allowed to remain in the dugout and not go wandering around due to liability unless there is another adult available to supervise them.

If I am working a game with only one coach and he is starting to run the line I might work into the conversation that if he goes the game is over due to no adult coach on site.

One of my buddies ejected a JV coach and the Varsity coach was watching. He came into the field and took over as the JV coach went away. This was perfectly acceptable since he was qualified, cleared and a employee of the field. If this was a parent I would not have allowed it as a parent would not meet the requirements.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:00am
TODO: creative title here

Here's what Minnesota has to say (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota State High School League
Ejection of Coach:
1. The official should approach the coach; announce the ejection to the coach and state that the coach leaves the competition area. In addition, the official must ask which coach or school representative will function as the head coach in the absence of the ejected coach. Only assistant coaches or school representatives may act in place of the coach.
2. The ejected coach shall leave the competition area and may not be seated in an area proximal to the team benches or have access to the locker room prior to the game, during the half-time or following the game (see policies under penalties).
It's not explicitly spelled out... but, if no assistant coach or school representative is available, I'm suspending the game, filing my report with the state office, and letting them handle it from there.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
This is something that may be different in other States so you need to check with the State Association.

In CT, there must be a approved, adult coach present or the game is over. No parents are allowed. So in CT, if you eject the only coach, from the field, the players may as well follow to the bus.
Same here in PA. The state made it a POE to NEVER forfeit a game.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 07:04pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
It's not explicitly spelled out... but, if no assistant coach or school representative is available, I'm suspending the game, filing my report with the state office, and letting them handle it from there.
... and I'm doing my "online rules meeting" right now, and the rules meeting says that if the head coach is ejected "there must be a certified assistant coach available to coach the team or the game is forfeited."

Not sure if the rules meeting content is meant to take the place of the officials handbook content (which I posted earlier today)... I may have to email the state and ask.