The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

deceptive pickoff play mechanics question

Had this happen last night. NFHS and I am U2 in A with R1.

Right handed F1 in stretch legally steps off and fakes throw to first base. F3 dives and starts "scrambling for the ball". The runner falls for the fake and moves toward second. F1 throws to F3 and they pick off the runner.

My question is how I should have handled my mechanics. I stepped and squared to first with the feint by F1. No I know they have run the fake and the ball is behind me with the pitcher. I chose to stay looking at first because that was where the play was going to happen. Did I help sell the fake by keeping looking to first? Should I have turned back to the pitcher when I realized I had followed the fake? I've always been taught to find the ball, nothing can happen without the ball, but if I had turned back to the pitcher at the wrong moment I would could have been caught with the ball on it's way to first and missed the play.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 12:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Stay with the ball but keep an eye on the action around 1st at the same time. You should not knowingly be a party to the deception and you should be keeping track of where the ball is.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Do what you have to do to get the play - but the idea of doing anything to help 'sell' the fake should NEVER enter your mind. Why would you even entertain that?

I assume from the context that you were actually in B, in the infield? If so, then I'd be finding that ball immediately. Better yet, don't square and turn away from the pitcher before that throw goes over. Yea, it's quick - but not too hard to keep your eyes on the ball till it's pretty sure it's being thrown. You can still start turning with the body. And if he catches you and doesn't throw, you get back on that pitcher immediately.

Stay on first, and you may miss the pickoff or some other action.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not saying that I would do anything to help sell the fake.

I was suckered by the fake and was facing 1B. I agree I should have turned back and found the ball. That was the mistake that I need to learn from.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I think you have learned your lesson for the day. Remember it. Keep your eye on the ball.

The runner can't afford to be watching you and be observant of what's going on too. Zero chance you helped in selling the fake, you just got faked.

It happens
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
I'm not saying that I would do anything to help sell the fake.

I was suckered by the fake and was facing 1B. I agree I should have turned back and found the ball. That was the mistake that I need to learn from.
ok, gotcha, misread that at first....indeed, just stay with the ball and you're good...not much is happening without it.