involved, but wonder what the correct procedure is and
just how I would react.
One out runner on first, catcher throws down on attempt to
catch runner returning to first, firstbase person blocks
runner off base prior to ball reaching her, gets ball and
applies tag. Offensive coach immediately heads to first to
argue obstruction. BU appeals to PU, PU had moved inside
taking line to third base in-case of overthrow and did not
actually see entire play. Stated so to offensive coacher.
Is this strictly BU call, or should have PU observed play
before existing? This is FED ball.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

If I am picturing this play correctly, as the BU I have a dead ball and obstruction. I picture that this is a called pick-off play and F3 is blocking the base at the time of the throw. R1 hits F3's foot going back to the base, F3 catches the throw from F2 and applies the tag. Granted that this play takes less time than it did for me to describe it as I have it pictured, but was the fielder "about to receive"?
To the best of my knowledge, and I have looked and asked others, Fed does not define what this phrase means. Fed leaves this determination entirely up to the ump. Dunno 'bout everyone else, but I need some sort of standard to base a judgement on. ASA does define this phrase as the ball being closer to the fielder than the runner is. This is the standard that I use for obstruction on a pickoff play. Another good standard is to answer the question 'Did the fielder have to be exactly where he was in order to make this catch & play?'
As I have this play pictured AND going by both of these standards, that's obstruction. Award R1 first base.
I also see this call as entirely the responsibility of the BU. While PU should always be ready to help, there should not generally be any help needed on a picoff play like this as there is no screened tag and everything is right in front of the BU.
On another note, BU is not appealing to PU. BU should be asking a very specific question of PU that can be answered with either YES or NO. BU would be asking for clarification, not appealing.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner would have been safe had the first baseman not made contact with the runner prior to receiving the ball, it is obstruction.

This is a rule that has been overlooked for years by many umpires because they felt the penalty was too harsh. I would bet a game fee (HS - $54) that now that NFHS has come to their senses and have dropped the mandated one base award, you will see this call much more often then in the past.

Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree completely, High school ball is going to see a whole lot more obstruction calls this year. $54 per game, Mike? Around here, the highest we get is $42 - and that's when we go to one of far off schools - and they really play bad ball, so the games are much longer.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

It is a bureaucratic thinking that has it that high. Apparently in Delaware, somewhere along the way it was decided that all sports officials be paid the same rate. The only differences are between varsity and JV/freshmen ball.

I have a feeling though that in the next few years, someone is going to wake up and figure this one out.

Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Pick-off vs Tag Play

What is difference from first base person blocking the runner from coming back to the bag vs second base person blocking bag with runner stealing second or catcher blocking home plate on tag play at the plate ??? If it's a bang bang play tough to call obstruction isn't it ?? Indiana pays any thing from 35 and up. Some associations pay more if the official leaves his/her home county. The schools who play the lesser amounts normally only do so for one season and word gets around and officials start becoming hard to find for that school.

[Edited by Bandit on Mar 26th, 2001 at 01:18 PM]
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Game Payments

Wow, wish East Texas was as wealthly as it seems some of
the other states are. We get 28cents a mile, round trip
25 for JV and 30 for Varsity games. Usually have the
double dips. JV normally last one hour drop on batter.
Varsity seven innings.

Thanks for the replies, at least I have some better ideal
of what I will do with the situtation if it comes my way.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit,
At a men's regional championship tournament a few years ago, I had a catcher block the plate, the runner hit the catcher, the ball arrived, and then the catcher tagged the guy for what he thought was an out. That team went nuts when I killed the play, said I had obstruction on the catcher, and awarded that runner home. So, what's the difference? There isn't any, obstruction is obstruction. I had a similar play in a college game last year - except the ball & runner got there at almost exactly the same time (I had a tie hahahaha) and that was not obstruction as I saw it. Nobody squawked on that one.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just throwing in my .02 cents worth here but at high school and above level you shouldnt see this happening for very long. When this happens at home the catcher is usally sit low and has all the equipment on for protection at 1st when this happens the 1st baseman standing direct and wont be watching because he is looking away from the runner looking for the throw. Some coach will get mad about this and tell his runner to dive for 1st baseman's leg and not the bag after a badly sprain knee or broken leg that 1st baseman wont be so eagar to block that base standing straight any longer!!

Have a good day

Don