The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

We just had a thread concerning the role of the PU and BU on a given set of circumstances. I'm certain there are many others as well.

Perhaps the most important element in umpiring is working with your partner. I can't stress enough the importance of the Pre-Game Discussion even if you are working with someone whom you are very familiar with.

For the most part, there's only 2 of us out there, so we better know in advance - Who's call it is and what position we both should be in.

I know there are the "taught" mechanics that we all learn in the clinics and on video such as the "V", but it is very important to have communication between you and your partner.

There's nothing more embarassing than thinking it's your partner's call and he thinks it's your call and neither of you are in the right position to make any call.

Having a good Pre-Game can also save one from getting into those "pickle" situations.

Pete Booth

Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question What do you include???

Pete:

I agree with you on the importance of the pre-game. I am trying to put together a list of the SPECIFICS of everything we should cover. I am going to train a crop of new guys next year and this is one of the things I really want to emphasize. I plan on giving them a list of the things they should cover.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. In particular, what coverage situations are worth while covering.

Mark
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Just a word of caution. If you happen to be working with an inexperienced partner, try not to cover every situation. Keep the pre-game simple and centered around basic coverage.

I used to cover everything in pre-game, until I realized that some of the lesser experienced guys I was working with had a hard enough time just grasping the basic coverage concepts. I'd start talking and their eyes would just glaze over, their minds wandering into their happy place. When that happens you've lost them.

But if you keep drilling the same basic coverage concepts at every pre-game with them, eventually they start getting it. That's why, in my opinion, a post-game conference is just as important. That's the time you should spend going over where the two of you went wrong. That's where they'll start getting it.

Eventually, once a firm understanding of the basics is apparent, you can add one additional item to each conference with that particular umpire.

Don't overwhelm the rookies. Youth league umpiring is almost always on-the-job training. Good thing we aren't brain surgeons.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What do you include???

Assuming 2 man mechanic I would include the following:

PU has all Fair / Foul calls except: No-One on base BU in Position (A). In this situation, if there is a liner right down the first base side of the bag, the BU would make the Fair / foul call (after the bag) - up to the bag is the PU's call.

In position (A). the PU has all fly balls with the exception of a ball hit down the first base side.

In position B / C the BU has the Fly balls in the V - the PU has the fly balls outside the V, first and third base lines.

If the BU goes out - Tell him to stay out. In this situation the PU then has to cover all the bases. Normally in a 2 man system the BU will not go out unless they have to, like a possible shoe-string catch.

Man on first situations:
PU will take r1 to third
It's the PU's responsibility to watch for interference by r1 when sliding into second on a DP situation. It's even more important in FED games because in FED if r1 slides illegally into second we have an automatic DP.

As I already mentioned to you before, plays around or in the Batter's Box area, I will tell the BU to "kill" any play he sees right away. I coulds blocked out by F2 and not have a clear view of the play as the BU has.

Man on third - Now PU has to stay put so all bases belong to the BU.

Also, Comminicate during the game. Lets say r1 base hit by B1 I will say Mark I got three. Comunicate / Communicate

This are just a few examples and I'm sure others who post here can give you many more. The important thing is Comminication.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

The important point is "Have a Pregame", not necesarily what is said AT the pregame. A pregame gets you on the same page with your partner, and confirms how you as a crew will cover the game. Around here at clinics and camps we say the mechanics we teach are not set in stone, they are guidelines - find what's comfortable and what works for you and your partners, and have a pregame to make sure you're on the same track. Of course, there are times when you MUST use prescribed mechanics - certain leagues and conferences want things done to the letter - but, like plate stances and strike calls, there is no real right and wrong way to do some things. But get the calls right!
Old Sat Oct 28, 2000, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Pre-games / Post-games

Come on guys, get real will ya! We all know that we get to the site 5 minutes before game time. Throw on the wrinked shirt and pants, grab your shoes and dust off some of the dirt from last game. Then start nagging your partner, who's doing the plate, about opening the zone and move the game along because you have other engagements later that you don't want to miss. Oh, then during the plate conference just state that you're all set and head out to the field.
Also, either don't help your partner on calls he signals to you on; or, jump your partners calls and then walk away when the coaches come out screaming at him. When it's all over leave the parking lot faster than you arrived; but, not before you tell your partner that he real should get his act together - cause, you won't move up until you get your act together!
Old Sat Oct 28, 2000, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

That's why, in my opinion, a post-game conference is just as important. That's the time you should spend going over where the two of you went wrong. That's where they'll start getting it.

Unfortunately, any post game conference you want to hold in MY association, will be quick. In fact you'll need to tell your story walking. I don't think I've ever seen an umpire "hang around" to discuss mechanics after a game.

Vern

Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drifter

That's why, in my opinion, a post-game conference is just as important. That's the time you should spend going over where the two of you went wrong. That's where they'll start getting it.

Unfortunately, any post game conference you want to hold in MY association, will be quick. In fact you'll need to tell your story walking. I don't think I've ever seen an umpire "hang around" to discuss mechanics after a game.

Vern

It shouldn't be done at the field, unless you're lucky enough to have dressing rooms.

It's truly a shame the members of your association neglect a ten-minute post-game conference. You should consider getting that fixed. It doesn't hurt, you know. We've found it to be extremely successful at helping our association improve as a team.

Basically, you guys have a choice. You can spend a few extra minutes working to improve, or you can race outta there to your hot date and stop thinking about baseball altogether. I know what the most dedicated and successful umpires in my association do. Heck, they get together at a local pub for a brew anyhow. It usually happens there.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote from Jim

"It's truly a shame the members of your association neglect a ten-minute post-game conference. You should consider getting that fixed. It doesn't hurt, you know. We've found it to be extremely successful at helping our association improve as a team."

I'm thinking of a particular game in which I had to remove an illegal bat from a game after a run had been scored with it. I also removed the run. Now, guys...this is a fact. The mayor of the town came on the field to argue. I cleared the field with the threat of forfeit by the home team...and this was a second round playoff game. There were hundreds of people standing around the fences because it was a big game for them and there weren't many bleachers. Rule books appeared like magic in the crowd.

I say all that to say this: My partner in the field had no clue what I did...why I did it...nor did he know how we were going to get out of there. Any post game conference we held would have ended in an ambulance in all likelyhood. We made our report at the first meeting of the next season.

Hanging around to discuss rules AFTER a game can be seen as wanting a confrontation.

BTW, I got the rule right...got my name in the paper too....LOL.

Vern

Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hanging around to discuss rules AFTER a game can be seen as wanting a confrontation.

Point well taken; but, regarding Jim's comments - most games don't end in turmoil, if they do then I'd agree to vacate the area ASAP, if not sooner.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Just so there's no mistake -

A post-game conference should not take place at the field. It should not take place in the parking lot or outside the concession stand.

It should be done at a location away from the field following the game. It only takes a few minutes and you and your partner can work through any problems while those problems are still fresh in your mind.

We've had great success doing this. I guarantee success if your association does it too. And I'm certainly not the first person to recommend such a post-game conference. I didn't make this up. This is standard procedure in many associations all over the world.

I do recommend leaving the field after a game. I never said that you should hang around. I just don't want to be misunderstood.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 08:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Cool

Unless there is a reason why you need to leave the parking lot quickly, there is no reason why a post-game talk can't be held while you are at the trunk removing your equipment. Most of the time, a post-game talk can be had in the time it takes for the plate umpire to remove his chest protector and shin guards.

That said, I agree with Jim completely: A post-game beer is always tasty, and even more so when you can get your partner to buy it.

On the subject of pregame: I agree that a good pregame is very important, but most of my pregame time these days is making sure of which "alternate" coverages we are using as a crew. I don't spend a lot of time going over the fact that the PU will cover first-to-third on a ball hit to the outfield, etc. I assume that an experienced umpire will get the standard mechanics. Sometimes I live to regret that, of course.

Rich
co-owner, UT
eContact, RightSports.com
Old Sun Oct 29, 2000, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Unless there is a reason why you need to leave the parking lot quickly, there is no reason why a post-game talk can't be held while you are at the trunk removing your equipment.
The only reason why I do not recommend that is because you never know whose ears are nearby. You could be talking about how you missed a rather important play in the second inning, all the while the victim's mom is doing needlepoint in the Dodge two cars down.

I'm not so against it that I think it should never take place in the parking lot. But that good tasting post-game brew seems a much better time for such a discussion. So that's why I made the "recommendation". Frankly, I don't much care where my umpires do it - as long as they do it and no one gets hurt by it.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Pre-games / Post-games

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rog
[B]Come on guys, get real will ya! We all know that we get to the site 5 minutes before game time. Throw on the wrinked shirt and pants, grab your shoes and dust off some of the dirt from last game.

Rog do not know where you work, but if you make a habit out of arriving at the game-site 5 minutes before it begins, you will not be working in my association too much longer.

One of the things we are rated on is: What time do you arrive?

We all have special circumstances, but in general we should arrive at the site 20 - 30 minutes before time.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 08:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

I also know this:

PEOPLE HAVE JOBS. Umpiring is a career for very few.

Most games started in Seattle at 3:30 or 3:45. I worked until 4:30 or 5:00. I had to leave early from work or I'd arrive in the 4th inning.

I would always let my partner know if I would be arriving less than 20 minutes before game time. We also worked out plate/base responsibilities so that we could be ready as quickly as possible once I/we did arrive. Calling my partner reassured him that somebody would be coming, albeit late.

It is really easy to make fun of those who don't have the time to arrive an hour early or to spit shine their shoes beyond removing the previous day's mud on a nightly basis. But once the game starts, I want a competent partner who works hard on the field and knows what he is doing. Once the game starts, I don't give a crap if your shoes are glossy or if there is an extra wrinkle in your shirt.

The coaches don't care, either.

Rich
co-owner, UmpiresTalk
eContact, eUmpire.com, http://www.RightSports.com