The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[B]I also know this:

PEOPLE HAVE JOBS. Umpiring is a career for very few.

Most games started in Seattle at 3:30 or 3:45. I worked until 4:30 or 5:00. I had to leave early from work or I'd arrive in the 4th inning.

I would always let my partner know if I would be arriving less than 20 minutes before game time. We also worked out plate/base responsibilities so that we could be ready as quickly as possible once I/we did arrive.

I guess it's different in different parts of the country.
I'm from NY and one's assignments come in the mail after you pick your eligability dates. I work out vacation time (in hours) with my boss. My normal work schedule is until 5 PM (HS games start at 4 - 4:30 PM) and in order to get to the HS sites on time, I leave around 3:30PM, therefore, I take roughly 6 vacation days in hours.

The Plate and Base responsibilities are known well in advance as they are listed on the assignment sheet. Of coarse if somebody gets hurt or is not feeling up to par you can always change but the point is no need for one to worry about Plate / Base responsibilities.

I understand your point about HS, so I agree with your assessment there, but what about summer ball where the games start at 6 or under the lights, where one has plenty of time to get to the game.

Some guys make a habit of coming late. Also, if you are constantly working with the same individual, then your Pre-game doesn't have to be as involved but if you are working with someone new IMO it is very important.

Also, coaches at least in my area like when you show up early. Sometimes we get the game off 15 / 30 minutes ahead of schedule especially when there is a threat of rain.

In Summary I agree HS games are sometimes difficult because of work schedules but in Summer Ball, there is no reason one can't show up 20 - 30 minutes before game time.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 31, 2000, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Gentlemen:

May I refer you to the three-part series over at eUmpire.com called "And Don't Forget...." It's all about the pregame conference, both the long version (riding together to the game) and the down and dirty one you go through while the plate man is adjusting his cup.

BTW: The series was written by my very favorite baseball writer.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Pre-Game meet with new partner- ABSOLUTELY!

Pete,

I particularly like it when P/U appeals on a half swing "did he go!?", and B/U says "Yes(No),he Did(Didn't!)" right away. Makes us look like a well oiled MACHINE, and seems to impress the spectators and coaches enough to keep them a bit quieter on the controversial plays.

--Mario Fiermonte