The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would you do on this play?
Offensive foul 53 77.94%
No-call 15 22.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

From the NCAA memos:

Play: A-1 rebounds the ball and, while in possession of the ball, is closely guarded by B-1. A-1’s arms and elbows, and the rest of the body, move with a similar speed but A-1’s elbow contacts B-1. The official did not consider the contact to be excessive and assessed a player control foul against A-1. However, after the call, the officials have reason to believe that they may have missed a flagrant foul. They decide to use the monitor to determine the severity of the act. The officials decide that the act was not flagrant but declare the contact to have been intentional. The officials charge A-1 with an intentional personal foul and administer the penalty. Are the officials correct?

Ruling: No. The officials are incorrect. In this play, there are only two possible contact fouls. The player committed either a player control foul (personal) or a flagrant personal foul. When the contact is not considered to be excessive, a player control foul (personal) shall be assessed. When the player’s arm and elbow are swung excessively and contact occurs, a flagrant foul shall be assessed.

When I first read this post, I felt certain I had previously read that an elbow to the face/head of the defender was to be ruled flagrant regardless of the speed with which the elbow was swung, but now I can't find any such memo.

Getting old is a real pain.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The latest instruction coming out from John Adams is that these fouls need to be called flagrant. This hasn't been well publicized yet, but if you keep an eye out this summer you will hear about it.

Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
From the NCAA memos:

Play: A-1 rebounds the ball and, while in possession of the ball, is closely guarded by B-1. A-1’s arms and elbows, and the rest of the body, move with a similar speed but A-1’s elbow contacts B-1. The official did not consider the contact to be excessive and assessed a player control foul against A-1. However, after the call, the officials have reason to believe that they may have missed a flagrant foul. They decide to use the monitor to determine the severity of the act. The officials decide that the act was not flagrant but declare the contact to have been intentional. The officials charge A-1 with an intentional personal foul and administer the penalty. Are the officials correct?

Ruling: No. The officials are incorrect. In this play, there are only two possible contact fouls. The player committed either a player control foul (personal) or a flagrant personal foul. When the contact is not considered to be excessive, a player control foul (personal) shall be assessed. When the player’s arm and elbow are swung excessively and contact occurs, a flagrant foul shall be assessed.

When I first read this post, I felt certain I had previously read that an elbow to the face/head of the defender was to be ruled flagrant regardless of the speed with which the elbow was swung, but now I can't find any such memo.

Getting old is a real pain.
I could be wrong because I had the sound off while watching the game, but didn't such a call just happen in the Va Tech/UConn game?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could be wrong because I had the sound off while watching the game, but didn't such a call just happen in the Va Tech/UConn game?
They reviewed it and decided that it was not excessive contact.

The FTs were for a T to Calhoun.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like A Drunken Sailor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
The FTs were for a T to Calhoun.
So what else is new?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The latest instruction coming out from John Adams is that these fouls need to be called flagrant. This hasn't been well publicized yet, but if you keep an eye out this summer you will hear about it.
According to the NCAA ruling posted by jearef (You make the call) it is dependant on excessive swinging. This case was not excessive swinging. It is certainly possible they're going to change the ruling but the published rulings do not support flagrant.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Wow. 7 people have actually said they would no-call this play. That's kind of hard to believe. Dude knew the defender was there, had no reason to throw that elbow out there other than to get a piece of the defender - that's a solid PC foul and the guy deserved to have to sit for a while.

Btw - the announcer is the same Rautins who played at Syracuse in the 80's and now has a nephew (or cousin) playing for Syracuse?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

Btw - the announcer is the same Rautins who played at Syracuse in the 80's and now has a nephew (or cousin) playing for Syracuse?
Yep and yep (father/son). Rautins played with Pearl Washington I believe.

And Brandon Triche is the nephew of Howard Triche, who played on the '87 Final Four squad.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 10:26pm.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And?

Isn't that how you're supposed to play defense?
I definitely think it's the way you're supposed to play defense. And, it kind of makes me chuckle fans and coaches freak out when there is some type of contact in that type of situation. Playing good, "tight" defense doesn't mean a player has eliminated the risk of the offensive player contacting them in some way. Play tight D...be prepared for contact. The defender in the play referenced acted as though he never considered the fact the offensive player would pivot. Come on.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 08:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I definitely think it's the way you're supposed to play defense. And, it kind of makes me chuckle fans and coaches freak out when there is some type of contact in that type of situation. Playing good, "tight" defense doesn't mean a player has eliminated the risk of the offensive player contacting them in some way. Play tight D...be prepared for contact. The defender in the play referenced acted as though he never considered the fact the offensive player would pivot. Come on.
So are you one of the people who said this shouldn't be anything?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And?

None of that has got anything to do with whether a foul should be called or not. The only thing that's really relevant is whether the defender was playing defense legally or not.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
So are you one of the people who said this shouldn't be anything?
I watched the play a half dozen times. At first, I just didn't see anything flagrant...still don't. Not even sure I see a foul. Just a quick pivot, elbows high but not extended which makes me think he was almost trying to avoid contact with the defensive player. So, based on that, I voted "nothing". However, I love the aggressive defense. Not a thing wrong with what I saw from the defender with the exception he was a bit of a drama queen.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And?

None of that has got anything to do with whether a foul should be called or not. The only thing that's really relevant is whether the defender was playing defense legally or not.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make.
You asked the question "isn't that how you're supposed to play defense"....I answered. I'll reiterate. YES.

Perhaps my point was made in my response to tomegun.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I watched the play a half dozen times. At first, I just didn't see anything flagrant...still don't. Not even sure I see a foul. Just a quick pivot, elbows high but not extended which makes me think he was almost trying to avoid contact with the defensive player. So, based on that, I voted "nothing". However, I love the aggressive defense. Not a thing wrong with what I saw from the defender with the exception he was a bit of a drama queen.
You don't see a foul? Or you don't think the contact constitutes a foul?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You don't see a foul? Or you don't think the contact constitutes a foul?
Still working it out....here's what I see:

almost simoultaneously, the offensive player pivots forward towards defender who is also moving forward into and has two hands on the offensive player's torso.

it's easy to see why the pc foul was called because the upper, outside part of the offensive player's arm makes contact with defensive player....it's not so easy to see the defensive player made first contact.

hats off to the defender for drawing the foul