The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

10U rec league, First baseman is two steps inside the bag at first, in the baseline. Runner on first. The runner on first takes off to steal. She is one step into it when the ball was hit right over the bag at first. The two collide instantaniously. Runner interference was called. Should this have been the call or do you have a no call as there was no time for the runner to avoid the fielder? Thanks
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the correct call was made. Rule 8, Section 7, Part J in the ASA rule book. The runner is out when the runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a fair, batted ball. I don't think obstruction by the fielder is correct because the fielder was attempting to field the batted ball. If she was just standing there when the runner took off without the ball hit, THEN there is obstruction, I think. I would say the men in blue got it right.
Old Wed May 28, 2003, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's up to the runner to avoid interfering with the fielder making the play. The runner has to do whatever she has to do to allow the fielder to make the play. Not being there to see the actual play, I would side with the ump because it is his/her judgement.
Having said that, it sounds to me like F3 was set up for obstructing the runner on the steal, and she was saved by the ball being hit in her direction.
Old Thu May 29, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Basically, I agree. The HTBT part is whether the collision occurred on the attempted steal or if the fielder was actually attempting to field the ball and could have.