The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking About Becomming an Official...a few questions

I'm thinking about becomming a wrestling official for middle school/high school wrestling meets. I attend Hope College, which is in Holland, MI. I have a few questions:

1. What kind of time committment does being an official entail? How many meets per week will I be working?

2. What kind of training is involved in becomming an official?

3. What is the normal pay for an official per dual meet? Per Saturday tournament?

Any advice/answers is appreciated.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I can't specifically answer your questions because I am from Wisconsin and every state is a bit different in how they choose to run their referee organization.

Pay varies from as little as 35 dollars for a Middle School dual meet to as much as 60. A High School dual meet can pay as little as 45 to as much as 95 if you do the Varsity/Junior Varsity and weigh-in all in one shot (assuming they also pay mileage). A tournament will pay from 100 dollars to 150 for a Junior Varsity gig and 140 to as much as 250 for a Varsity tournaments (lunch is usually provided).

You will need to sell yourself to the athletic directors or the events via email / letters / or phone calls. Tell them your experience and a reasonable request for the level of officiating that you wish to work and they will contact you as they need to fill vacancies. Belonging to an Officials Association helps immensely here because the refs in it will know about jobs and will steer you in the correct direction.

The education part is largely on the mat. You must take a test from the NFHS that is 100 questions and requires you to have a good basic understanding of the rules but again, being apart of an officials association really helps because the old silverbacks can help you through the tough ones.

In Wisconsin, I have worked as much as 4 meets a week or as little none. We decide how much we want to work and at what level. After you get established you will be turning down plenty of matches but it takes a few years to get recognized. One bit of advice, do not think just because you know the rules you are ready for Varsity. Give it time to become second nature (at last two seasons) and the intensity can really get ramped up at that level. You need to be prepared before you take a varsity contract.

Good Luck!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

When starting out you should be looking for JV and middle school opportunites. JV matches usually start at 6PM and run about an hour as the varsity is normally scheduled for 7PM start. MS matches in West Michigan start at 4PM which can be tough for a lot of guys to make due to work commitments, but might open a lot of opportunities if your class scedule allows. MS meets can vary from 45 minutes to a couple of hours.

Plan on being at the site early so you can prepare (be in uniform) and talk to the teams. AD's also appreciate it when you show up early so they have one less thing to worry about.

You can make $25 to $40 dollars for a MS match, JV's usually pay $2 per match and some schools, although not required, will pay a minimum to make it worth while for the offical.

Training is pretty much on the job, although prior to the season there are clinics during which you get mat time (scrimages) with a senoir offical by your side. Other than that, go to matches, observe the officals and if you work JV stay for the varsity. Join an association (West Michigan Wrestling Officlas Association operates in your area).

The pay for Saturday tourniments varies from around $125 to $200. You will earn your pay as you can plan on being in the gym all day.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Training Should be Mandatory

On the job training has not proven to produce quality referees. Mandatory meetings should be enforced as they are with other sports. This would provide a more consistent team of referees.