The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Who is my next server? correctable?

I am looking for documentation on this rule. I am thinking USAV, but other rule set comparisons would be interesting.

Here is the situation:

Team A asks R2 who is their next server? R2 checks with sk and they give him #12. #12 goes back to serve, serves an ace. Sk says wait, it should be #30 serving.

what do you do?

Team A asks R2 who is their next server? R2 checks with sk and they give him #12. #12 goes back to serve, serves an ace. Then serves into the net Sk says wait, it should be #30 serving.

what do you do?

Remember I am looking for a rule number casebook or flyer/rule interp reference. I have the answer, just need the documentation.

Enjoy.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Look at rule 24.3.1

The 2nd referee's check of the line-up is a courtesy. The responsibility to ensure the correct players are on the court resides with the captain and/or coach.

At the start of each set, at the change of courts in the deciding set and whenever necessary, the 2nd referee checks the actual positions of the players on the court correspond to those on the line-up sheets.

This is in the DCR on page 72.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
I am looking for documentation on this rule. I am thinking USAV, but other rule set comparisons would be interesting.

Here is the situation:

Team A asks R2 who is their next server? R2 checks with sk and they give him #12. #12 goes back to serve, serves an ace. Sk says wait, it should be #30 serving.

what do you do?

Team A asks R2 who is their next server? R2 checks with sk and they give him #12. #12 goes back to serve, serves an ace. Then serves into the net Sk says wait, it should be #30 serving.

what do you do?

Remember I am looking for a rule number casebook or flyer/rule interp reference. I have the answer, just need the documentation.

Enjoy.
Using the verbiage on the (albeit different) scenario in Rule 25 of the Casebook, the interp reads:

Ruling: Since this was a scoring error, the error on the scoresheet must be corrected to agree with the line-up submitted by the coach. There is no penalty or loss of rally assessed to Team S due to the scorer’s error. (25.2.1.2).

Seems to me the scorer's error reasoning would apply here. I know if this were a protest, we'd go back to the point of the error and have the team serve with the correct server, since the team made every legitimate effort to get correct information and was given incorrect information.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Felix,
That is the correct answer of course. And sadly, that is the closest rule/ruling I could find to this situation. We remove the points earned by the wrong sever and allow the correct server to serve.

This happened in a tournament a week ago and the ref got it wrong. I was looking for written support of the correct action. I have not been able to find anything closer than what you found.

But this is the correct procedure per Michelle Prater.

You would think this has happened enough it would be in the casebook.

Now, what about a lineup check where the R2 puts the wrong player in position II and after rotation they go back to serve? What a mess.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

This happened at a boy's tournament back in January. The junior R2 gave Team A the incorrect server when the correct server was asked to be identified.

In the instance of misinformation from the refereeing corps, you can go back to the point of error and fix it; like Felix said.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio.King View Post
This happened at a boy's tournament back in January. The junior R2 gave Team A the incorrect server when the correct server was asked to be identified.

In the instance of misinformation from the refereeing corps, you can go back to the point of error and fix it; like Felix said.

Unless the other team has already served and then we make sure the rotation is correct????
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Correct. If the protest is filed right then and there, and/or the mistake is recognized before the other team served, you can go back and fix it. Everything erases back to that point.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

What about FED

Would the same resolution be true for the same error from R2 in a game governed by FED rules?
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

i think fed rules are different. I don't have my books handy, but I have heard quoted or misquoted "it is the ultimate responsibility of the team to know....." I think that is why it is missed in USAV, just a hunch. I really don't know what the fed rule is.