The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 29, 2010, 08:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Improper requests

I took the NCAA/Pavo test tonight, and there were a LOT of questions about improper requests.

Without addressing any particular question or situation, would somebody walk me through how these are handled? Is there a penalty or warning when somebody makes an IR, even if it's not "recognized" by a whistle?

I'd like to think that if a coach asks for a third time-out, a good official will say, "Coach, you don't have any left" and leave it at that. But there were so many questions about it, it seems to me that I'm off-base.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 02:14am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
scrapper, the reason for all the questions has to do with when an IR happens. If a team has had a DW or DP, an IR can still be given. See if this helps clear things up,

Quote:
6.2 Improper Requests

6.2.3 Procedures

6.2.3.1 The first improper request in a set is denied and noted on the scoresheet with no further sanction assessed, even if a delay sanction has already been assessed to that team in that set. The second referee should reject the request, and play continues. After the play, the team at fault is notified of the improper request, which is signaled and noted on the scoresheet. Any additional improper requests by the same team during the same set result in a delay sanction.

6.2.3.2 An improper request for substitution is denied and a new substitution request may not be made by that team until after the next completed rally (See Rule 8.1.3.1) or until a timeout is granted.

6.2.3.3 An improper request for substitution or timeout results in a delay sanction if the request is acknowledged (whistled) by a referee. If play begins with a player illegally on the court, no improper request or delay sanction is assessed; a position fault results instead. (See Rule 10.3.2.)

6.2.3.4 If a change in a request is because of a referee’s mind change, the request is honored and no improper request is assessed.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 06:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

I went back over the rule, and it helps. Thanks. So let me ask another question. In the real world, do you stop the game after the rally and administer the IR? Or do you just say "Coach, you don't have any time-outs left", and leave it at that?
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I went back over the rule, and it helps. Thanks. So let me ask another question. In the real world, do you stop the game after the rally and administer the IR? Or do you just say "Coach, you don't have any time-outs left", and leave it at that?
Tell the coach they don't have any timeouts left.
Let the rally play out.
Tell the scorekeeper to record the improper request.

Shouldn't slow things down much at all.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 01:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Ok, thank you. I'm not real experienced, so I just wanted to know what the accepted application of the rule is.

The reason I ask is that when I was being observed when I just got started a couple years ago, I was the R2 and the coach requested a 3rd time-out. My basketball training kicked in and I just said, "You don't have any more, Coach". I did this right in front of the observer. The coach said something like, "That's the way it should be done," and the observer said nothing about the situation.

But now I will do it the right way. Thank you for the feedback.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 01:43pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
You handled the situation correctly. Following completion of the rally, you should have made sure that the scorekeeper recorded an IR in the Sanctions box for that team (slash "IR", Record Team A or Team B, Set number, and the score - violating team's score listed first).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Sep 01, 2010, 02:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Following completion of the rally, you should have made sure that the scorekeeper recorded an IR in the Sanctions box for that team
This never happened (as I think you realized), and the observer never pointed it out. So I've gone 3 years thinking that the "real world" answer is to simply disregard the IR. I will not make that mistake anymore.