The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

As requested in the emails I recieved I've posted the survey below. If you choose to answer please email me directly, or feel free to post comments to answers here on the board. Thanks.

Hello Basketball Officials,

My name is Enzley Mitchell . I’m a currently working on a Masters degree in Sport Management at Indiana State University. In my governance and compliance class I’m working on a project that explores certain aspects of college basketball officiating and more specifically certification, assigning of games and moving up. In order to gather accurate information on my topic I’m asking for help from college basketball officials from around the country. Your name will not be used in my report and this will only be used for my RCSM 635 course at ISU. Please feel free to add any comments you feel would be helpful with my project. Please email your responses or questions to me at [email protected] with ISU officiating survey in the subject line. Printing the questionnaire and emailing your responses to the questions would be fine. Thank you for your help.

ISU Basketball Officiating Questionnaire

Name ___________________________

Age ___________________________

Total years officiating basketball ___________________________

Years officiating College Basketball ___________________________

Please list Conferences/Divisions you work in ___________________________

Did you experience any roadblocks or barriers getting started in officiating?

What made you get started in officiating?

What type of games did you start your officiating career with?

Do you feel the current process in selecting officials with a single supervisor or assignor for their game schedule is equitable? If yes why? If no why?

What if any are barriers for someone interested in officiating at the college level?

Should certification of officials be required? If yes why? If no Why?

What is your opinion about forming regional associations for game assignments, certification, and training?

Do you feel that you’re adequately informed about changes in rules and procedure from your supervisor? The NCAA?

How do you feel about the current system of assigning officials for tournament games? If you don’t like the current system what would you change?

Do you feel college officials are adequately compensated? If no why? What would you change or do differently?

Do you think the NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA should play a larger if any role in assigning officials? If yes what should they do?

What suggestions would you make to someone interested in officiating at the college level?

What suggestions would you make to an official who is working at the high school or small college level and wants to move up?

Do you have any desire to work in any of the semi pro leagues or the NBA?

Other Comments:

Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 06:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Here's my answers:

Did you experience any roadblocks or barriers getting started in officiating? - Yes, there was construction on the freeway on the way to my first game. The roadblock held me up for about 10 minutes.

What made you get started in officiating? - I felt that if I was going to get yelled at by other people, I might as well get paid for it.

What type of games did you start your officiating career with? - basketball

Do you feel the current process in selecting officials with a single supervisor or assignor for their game schedule is equitable? If yes why? If no why? - yes (of course, I am an assignor)

What if any are barriers for someone interested in officiating at the college level? - the shirts are too tight and there are a lot of fat refs

Should certification of officials be required? If yes why? If no Why? - no, but certification of coaches and parents should be mandatory

What is your opinion about forming regional associations for game assignments, certification, and training? - sure, as long as they have really bichin' end of season parties

Do you feel that you’re adequately informed about changes in rules and procedure from your supervisor? The NCAA? - yes, I receive notices by carrier pigeon daily, plus I am on Rut's newsletter mailing list

How do you feel about the current system of assigning officials for tournament games? If you don’t like the current system what would you change? - what are tournament games?

Do you feel college officials are adequately compensated? If no why? What would you change or do differently? - pay them in Bobby Knight voodoo dolls

Do you think the NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA should play a larger if any role in assigning officials? If yes what should they do? - they should provide larger rolls in pre-game meals

What suggestions would you make to someone interested in officiating at the college level? - see a therapist ASAP

What suggestions would you make to an official who is working at the high school or small college level and wants to move up? - forget it, unless you like having a brown shine to your nose

Do you have any desire to work in any of the semi pro leagues or the NBA? - not until Mark Cuban retires

Other Comments: it sure gets hot in Florida in the summertime - buy low, sell high - you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Hope this helped.

Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 06:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

- you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Wanna bet?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 07:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

- you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.

And you can't wipe your friends on your pants either.