The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Sub requests

NFHS - A substitution request shall not be recognized if made by other than the head coach or a sub entering the sub zone.

Just double-checking my understanding: A request would not be recognized when....
  • The player on the floor being subbed for calls/signals "sub" and/or comes to her side of the sideline above the attack line
  • Team member on the bench calls/signals "sub" then stands and heads for the sub zone
  • Team member calls/signals "sub" while on her way towards the sub zone, but several feet before entering it
  • Assistant coach calls/signals "sub"
Old Sat Sep 20, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
Preventative officiating before denial of sub request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
NFHS - A substitution request shall not be recognized if made by other than the head coach or a sub entering the sub zone.

Just double-checking my understanding: A request would not be recognized when....
  • The player on the floor being subbed for calls/signals "sub" and/or comes to her side of the sideline above the attack line
  • Team member on the bench calls/signals "sub" then stands and heads for the sub zone
  • Team member calls/signals "sub" while on her way towards the sub zone, but several feet before entering it
  • Assistant coach calls/signals "sub"
In NFHS, Rule 1.1.2 "A request for substitution shall not be recognized if made: a) by anyone other than a head coach or substitute entering the substitution zone." In USAV & NCAA, a captain can request a sub. However, depending on the rule-base, if ONLY the coach is requesting the sub, the coach must be at the team bench and near the sub zone to request a sub... if requesting a sub while standing near the endline, the R2 is permitted to "not recognize the coaches request"... note, I didn't say "deny the request" because coaches location on the bench is not a factor if they're requesting while the sub'ing in player is in the sub zone or if the captain is requesting the sub.

One quick mention, keep in mind "preventative officiating" before possibly denying the sub. If, after a sub request (by any player/coach on-or-off the court) if you are going through your mental checklist to see if they qualify to make the request, chances are a sub is coming up to the zone anyway... especially if, as you say, a team member on the bench is requesting a sub while heading for the zone... be a little leanient, and maintain the flow of the match versus creating a delay by denying and sanctioning (be a little leanient, but not a free-for-all)... you can always verbally warn the coach "hey coach, I need those subs faster" or "where are my subs you're requesting?" or even "hey coach, I can't hear you way down there"... they'll adjust, or they shouldn't be surprised by a "denial of sub" if a reoccurance.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.

Last edited by Retrozetti; Sat Sep 20, 2008 at 01:41pm. Reason: clarifying NFHS - only sub & coach can request sub