The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

JV game, team A being pressed deep in their own end. Coach A yells timeout as a full court length pass is in the air. Ball is caught by A2 near baseline at other end of court. Do you still grant the timeout to team A? Can the timeout be granted when the ball is in the air being passed from A1 to A2? I was trail, and my partner granted the timeout once the ball was caught by A2. Coach A didn't like it because he would've had a fairly easy 2 on 1 scoring opportunity. Right call or not?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Air JC
JV game, team A being pressed deep in their own end. Coach A yells timeout as a full court length pass is in the air. Ball is caught by A2 near baseline at other end of court. Do you still grant the timeout to team A? Can the timeout be granted when the ball is in the air being passed from A1 to A2? I was trail, and my partner granted the timeout once the ball was caught by A2. Coach A didn't like it because he would've had a fairly easy 2 on 1 scoring opportunity. Right call or not?
Don't grant this time out unless it is re-requested after the catch. This problem usually happens when a coach tries to request TO before throw during a press and gets the words going just as the ball is released (this of course never happens to me because my teams would never have any problems against the press!). You cannot grant the timeout that was requested because there was no player control. So grant one when it is requested at the same time as A has player control, and only then.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Yeah. What Hawks Coach said

Quote:
Originally posted by Air JC
Air JC,
Hawks Coach was good.
Plus, if you heard the request while the ball was on the hand, but you had to turn to recognize that it came from the coach, you may grant it (or not), but give 'em the throw-in where the pass was initiated.
T'ain't a big deal either way.
mick
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Think of it this way.

There's a scramble for a loose ball with several players on the floor, trying to gain control. Either coach yells "Time-out!!" while the ball is still loose. obviously, you aren't going to grant it. Are you going as soon as that coach's player gains possession?

I'm not. He'll have to request again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith