The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

We are told to discuss and compare our tests before sending them in, so I don't feel like I am cheating by asking for some help on some of these questions from the NFHS Part I exam.

* 5. The referee shall immediately stop play when a few wet spots of blood are observed on a player's uniform. T or F?
Common sense tells me that unless she has an open wound or until the uniform is saturated to not bother with it, but I can't seem to find it in the book.

* 32. Illegal Alignment occurs when, at the moment of serve, the CF's feet are closer to the center line and the back line than either foot of the CB. T or F?
It took me awhile to figure out how this would even be possible, but I guess if the CF is perpendicular to the net and the CB is parallel, it is possible. Seems like an obvious illegal alignment, right?

* 35. The serve is legal when the server bounces the ball off the floor and hits it off the bounce for serve. T or F?
I believe this to be illegal, but can't find it specifically in the rule book.

* 45. It is a foul when a back-row player standing in front of the attack line reaches up and attacks the ball, which has completely crossed the net. T or F?
Is this one of those that you don't immediately call, like until the ball is returned and contacted by the opponents, or am I getting confused again?

Enough for now, more to come. Thanks, again for the help, Devon.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I won't give you the answers, but I send you in the right direction....

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
We are told to discuss and compare our tests before sending them in, so I don't feel like I am cheating by asking for some help on some of these questions from the NFHS Part I exam.

* 5. The referee shall immediately stop play when a few wet spots of blood are observed on a player's uniform. T or F?
Common sense tells me that unless she has an open wound or until the uniform is saturated to not bother with it, but I can't seem to find it in the book.

Try rule 11, this should help.

* 32. Illegal Alignment occurs when, at the moment of serve, the CF's feet are closer to the center line and the back line than either foot of the CB. T or F?
It took me awhile to figure out how this would even be possible, but I guess if the CF is perpendicular to the net and the CB is parallel, it is possible. Seems like an obvious illegal alignment, right?

What can cause a front and back player to overlap? Does it exist? For these, somethimes it helps to draw a quick pic.

* 35. The serve is legal when the server bounces the ball off the floor and hits it off the bounce for serve. T or F?

Rule 8 is pretty specific. It lists the two ways you can serve.

* 45. It is a foul when a back-row player standing in front of the attack line reaches up and attacks the ball, which has completely crossed the net. T or F?
Is this one of those that you don't immediately call, like until the ball is returned and contacted by the opponents, or am I getting confused again?

Is this worded correctly? They don't really give you enough to go on, but in the meantime, think about the "4 point" you need to have a back row violation. Do they all exist?

Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I disagree that Rule 8 is "pretty specific" on the two ways to hit a serve. It does say "...while the ball is held, or after it is released by the server...". One could argue that bouncing it high is being released by the server. Yeah, I know, then you're going to say that is says it's illegal to release the ball for service, then catch it or drop it to the floor. I'll buy into the fact that it's not a legal way to serve, but it doesn't seem that specific to me. Maybe it's just because I am not used to it, but the entire rulebook to me seems very vague and choppy.

As far as the question on the backrow attack, what are the "four points" that are required to have a back row attack, can you very slyly point me in that direction or would it kill you to just come out and tell me
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

You do basketball, of course the rules are vauge and choppy

As far as this rule goes, you must toss it or hold it. Yes, the rule is a little grey, but a "basic" rule or theory of voleyball is the ball can nver touch the floor, so I would say it is illegal, side out (Now what signal do you use??).

I try to remember stuff from sport to sport the same way, so it is easier. Since we have the "three" points to over and back on bball, I came up with the four points of back row (the 4 is for fed only), but trust me I am not an original, you probably will hear others mention it.

1) (and this is very important) You must be a back row player.

2) You must be touching, or have last touched the floor on or infront of the attack line.

3) The ball must be completly above the hieght of the net. If only half the ball is above the net, it is legal.

4) The ball must pass completly across the plane of the net. If it is blocked or hit by the other team before this occurs, no call. This is a very good point to remember, the Fed is the only rule set to use this. In NCAA and USAVB a block is back row attack as well, so you may catch grief at some point on this by a coach who is not up to par on fed rules.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

WOW! we do not even get our tests until August 27. Thanks for the four requirements for the back row. That also helped me. I also found the rules gave me a feeling of jumping around. It seems like in basketball the rules proceed logically from point to point and build on the previous rule and case. In volleyball I found the rule book had me jumping forwards and backwards to understand things. I do like the way they detail their mechanics and signs so well instead of a tiny picture in the back of the book.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

From what I have read during my lunch hour ...............
#5-11.4.2 says that when discovered, play shall be stopped at the earliest possible time. I take that to mean as soon as the play has stopped, not during play. In the case book it sounds like a time out can be called and the player stay in the game with a new jersey.

#32 I wonder if you mistyped this? How can you be closer to the front and back at the same time? For CF to be out of alignment he/she must be clsoer to the back line than the CB I thought?

#35 If I am reading the ruole book right, 8.1.5 says that if the ball is dropped to the floor it is a re serve and therefore not legal. I would think dropping it to the floor and bouncing it to the floor are the same thing. In reading 8.1.1 it sounds illegal. My question is, is this illegal and side out? After reading case book 8.1.5.A it sounds like you cannot attempt to serve it if you drop it.

Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

By earliest popssible moment, they mean when you see it. If you see a player bledding you must stop play ASAP, lest blood get on the ball, then all over other players.

If the player change change the jersey prio to 30 seconds expiring, then no time out is charged. You get a 30 second injury TO that is "free". If at the end of 30 seconds, they want to take a TO, and can get the jersey changed in that period of time, then it is OK. If they cannot get changed in that time, an ex sub needs to be used.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks that makes more sense.
Ron
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Overlap

On the overlap question - the two players are not in overlap. For this question the cf has a wider stance than the cb. The CB is not in overlap until both feet are closer to the center line than either foot of the center front. The same goes for the CF she isn't in overlap until both of her feet are closer to the back line.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Overlap

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
On the overlap question - the two players are not in overlap. For this question the cf has a wider stance than the cb. The CB is not in overlap until both feet are closer to the center line than either foot of the center front. The same goes for the CF she isn't in overlap until both of her feet are closer to the back line.
Can you site the rule you are looking at?
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning question 32 of the original post concerning the CF and CB overlapping, the correct ruling is no overlap. The exact scenario is explained in the NFHS casebook 6.3.2 Situation A. To envision the situation, imagine CB as the back row setter lined up with both feet on the 10' line. CF is in serve receive with one foot in front of the 10' line and one behind the 10' line.

The NFHS rulebook Rule 6, Art. 2 b says "...Each front row player shall have at least part of one foot touching the floor closer to the center line than both feet of the corresponding back row player." If CB and CF positions were reversed in above situation, it would costitute an overlap.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I read it wrong.

After taking the PAVO and USAVB test, my mind was fried on test questions.

Always helps to read it right. I thought CF and CB were reversed.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DncnRef Send a message via AIM to DncnRef
Questions from the test

Q/A #5-See page 12 and 58 in the case book for situations concerning “blood”. Saturated means “wet” and it talks about “excessive”. What is excessive to you might not be for someone else. When I see “wet” blood on a uniform, I stop play. Period! It came from somewhere and it should be dealt with as quickly as possible. There are certain precautions that must be met when cleaning the ball, floor or whatever surface it is found on. Peroxide takes it out of the jersey in “no time”. Maybe a little spray bottle in the “ref “ bag might be a good idea…I missed #5 on purpose so I could show why a little could go a long way!
Q/A #32-CB stands between both feet of the CF. Trick question, it’s on there all the time. Don’t be concerned with the back line just the center line.
Q/A #35-Must be held or released for service, if it hits the floor a re-serve could be granted. This action would be illegal. The action, “toss” is not required. A player may also drop the ball for an underhand serve. Loose the word “toss” from your requirement for a re-serve. The right word is “release”!
Q/A #45-True if the ball is entirely above the net, False if any part is below the top of the net. It doesn’t matter where the players' hand is, just where the ball is. Their answer is vague at best. “It is obvious that the player is above the net”. Doesn’t seem so obvious to me…
My best advice would be to invest in a case book, study other rule sets (USA, NCAA, FIVB) and learn what they do. They send out information all the time and they train their officials. NFHS sells books!
Bob
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

test questions

I took the test this past summer and have almost completed my first season. I read the rules book several times over and went back and checked with every question. It seemed like many questions were designed to be confusing, "trick" questions. I wondered why they weren't much clearer, because I thought the goal of the test is to make sure someone knows the rules. At our first meeting, before the season started, I got the casebook. It was a great help and I wish I'd gotten it before I took the test. My advice for the test is to take your time and read each question carefully, and move on if you can't figure it out.

I learned a lot during this first season, and it got easier and easier. My advice for other new officials, is to stay relaxed, look at your down official, and remember to blow the whistle as soon as the ball is dead, then look at the lines judge if you need to. Also, the ball isn't dead until it hits the floor or is mishandled. I've had it happen where the other team hit the net before the ball landed.

Finally, I have one question. What happens when both teams hit the net at the same time or you can't tell which side hit the net, but you know someone did?
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: test questions

Quote:
Originally posted by mgaeta
I took the test this past summer and have almost completed my first season. I read the rules book several times over and went back and checked with every question. It seemed like many questions were designed to be confusing, "trick" questions.
Welcome to the wonderful world of FED rules tests!

Quote:
Originally posted by mgaeta
Finally, I have one question. What happens when both teams hit the net at the same time or you can't tell which side hit the net, but you know someone did?
If a player from each team touches the net at the same time, it is a double violation and a replay. It happens from time to time. If you can't tell who hit the net, you can't call anything. This is why it is important for the down official to keep his or her concentration on the net. If you are working solo, you do the best you can. Your primary responsibility is to follow the ball.