View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

test questions

I took the test this past summer and have almost completed my first season. I read the rules book several times over and went back and checked with every question. It seemed like many questions were designed to be confusing, "trick" questions. I wondered why they weren't much clearer, because I thought the goal of the test is to make sure someone knows the rules. At our first meeting, before the season started, I got the casebook. It was a great help and I wish I'd gotten it before I took the test. My advice for the test is to take your time and read each question carefully, and move on if you can't figure it out.

I learned a lot during this first season, and it got easier and easier. My advice for other new officials, is to stay relaxed, look at your down official, and remember to blow the whistle as soon as the ball is dead, then look at the lines judge if you need to. Also, the ball isn't dead until it hits the floor or is mishandled. I've had it happen where the other team hit the net before the ball landed.

Finally, I have one question. What happens when both teams hit the net at the same time or you can't tell which side hit the net, but you know someone did?