The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

HS season is finished...

My HS season ended on Saturday. This year, my partner and I were selected to officiate the 4A division II state championship match. One team was undefeated, the other team had one loss - to the undefeated team in a five game match very early in the season.

I was the R1, I had been R2 in a championship match a few years ago, but never the R1. I found myself somewhat nervous at the start and one of the coaches started complaining before the match even started about the warmup procedure. I think I settled down about halfway through the first game and called a decent match. Undefeated team won in four games with neither team ever leading by more than 4 points at any time in the match.

Looking back, I felt that I had a pretty good season...I did pick up some stuff from reading this board that I tried to incorporate and felt that it helped my officiating. I don't do any club ball. so VB is over for me until next fall, unless I can pick up some boys games in the spring. I'm very active in our HS softball umpires group and we have a shortage of umps, so I have to do a lot of SB games in the spring.

I will still check in on this board from time to time, but my experience is that it seems to die after the fall HS season....Thanks to all for the input and discussion this season.

For those of you that still have some HS ball left - good luck and have fun!
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 03:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
my partner and I were selected to officiate the 4A division II state championship match.

Looking back, I felt that I had a pretty good season...
Uh, yeah, I guess so. This gets my vote for understatement of the year.

Congrats. Glad it was a good one.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:38am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Hopefully, I won't be finished with high school volleyball until the end of the day on December 1st when the California State Finals are completed at the San Jose Event Center, but we still have sectionals to complete this week, NorCals for a week and a half and then the state finals.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy I'm done

The team I serve as official scorekeeper for was eliminated in southern section semi-finals so I won't be seeing you in San Jose,Mcbear! I had an interesting postseason though:

2'nd round Match:
Had to call a wrong server on the first side-out of the match for home team!

Quarter-Final Match:
Visiting team coach called a timeout she did not have. I caught it but my R2 was a little slow to realize what was happening. My R1 actually realized it was an extra timeout before R2 did!

Scorekeeper I feel bad for: Bermuda Dunes Desert Christian (Horror Story is below

Conquerors' CIF championship dream denied
Volleyball team comes up short in quest for 4th trip to finals

Alejandro Rodriguez • The Desert Sun • November 14, 2007

BERMUDA DUNES - A disputed call ended Desert Christian's hopes of reaching the CIF Division V-AA volleyball championship for a fourth consecutive time as they were defeated by Faith Baptist of Canoga Park on Tuesday night.

In the fourth game with the Conquerors trailing 22-20, a timeout was called by Faith Baptist despite them not having one available.

By rule, Desert Christian should've been awarded an automatic point and the serve. However, the call was missed and the Contenders went on to score the two points they needed to end the Conquerors' hopes of a third consecutive CIF championships.

Faith Baptist won 25-22, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23.

Conquerors' coach Stu Rowland was disappointed by the ruling.

"We played hard," Rowland said. "You just hate to have your team's hopes ended by a blown call, but then again that's why you play hard to try and avoid those situations. All in all, both sides played hard. It was a fun match."

The Conquerors also suffered a major injury in the first game as outside hitter Ally Doyle suffered a badly sprained left ankle and was unable to continue.

Senior Kelsey Kolar thought that the loss of Doyle put the Conquerors in a tough position.

"We were unlucky in the first game," Kolar said. "Losing a key player like Ally made it hard to regroup. We were ready to play physically, but mentally we weren't."

Senior Jen Trahan said the team tried its best to regroup.

"I think we did a good job of trying to regroup, but it just wasn't enough," Trahan said.

The first game saw the Conquerors jump out to an early 9-3 lead, but they were unable to hold it as the Contenders came away with the 25-22 victory.

In the second game, the Conquerors rallied from a late deficit to win 25-21.

In the third game, the Contenders jumped ahead early and held off a late Conqueror rally in winning 25-20.

The fourth game saw the Conquerors fall behind 14-6 and then rally to tie it at 23, before ultimatley falling 25-23 and thus ending their season.

Rowland was still proud of the way his team kept fighting.

"I'm very proud of the way they played tonight," he said. "They fought all the way to the end, just as they have all year."

Kolar led the Conquerors with 10 kills, eight digs and six aces, while Paige Dieker also had 10 kills.

Jen Essig had 31 assists, and Kiara Gamble had four blocks.

Desert Christian concludes its season with a record of 18-5 and 12-0 in Victory League.

To those of you with HS matches remaining,
Good Luck
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:05pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I had attempted to post a response yesterday but for some reason it disappeared.

SCalScoreKeeper, in the article that you post, it seems evident that the officials did not know Rule 11-2 Penalty 2: "If a team has used all its time-outs, loss of rally/point is awarded to the opponent, and the game shall be resumed immediately." It is hard for me to believe that CIF-SS (Southern Section of CIF) would assign officials to a Sectional Play-off match who would screw up the rule so badly, but it seems to be the case.

One thing that is interesting in the article you shared is how the writer intimates that Desert Christian lost any chance of participating in the CIF State Championships and that their season was over, however, that was not the case. CIF-SS runs their sectional play-offs in a format that is different from any other section in California. CIF-SS sectional play-offs are done based on the strength of the league/conference in which each team plays. When the Sectional Play-offs are done, the schools for the State Championships are selected based on their enrollment as is done in all other sections of the state.

Desert Christian - who lost the match to Faith Baptist in the CIF-SS Divison V-AA Play-offs - received the #8 seed in the Division V Southern California CIF State Brackets while Faith Baptist was not selected to participate even though they finished as runner-up in Division V-AA. So, Desert Christian ended up playing the number 1 seed, Tri-City Christian, and losing in three games, 25-15, 25-16, and 25-12. Therefore, as of November 20th, their season finished.

My season will finish up on Saturday at the San Jose Event Center. I have been selected to be the scorekeeper for the Division III final at 2:00pm and the Division I final at 5:00pm. I know they will be great matches and I am honored to be selected as the scorekeeper. One thing I have learned over the last couple of years - you can survive a match with a lousy Referee (R1) and you can survive match with a lousy Umpire )R2), but it is going to be a long day in h-e-double hockey sticks if you have a lousy scorekeeper!!! (and the nice thing is that I know that in neither match will there be a lousy Referee nor Umpire!)!!!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Mcbear,
Congratulations on being selected scorekeeper for the CIF state tournament D1 and D3 championship matches. I am sure you will do your usual excellent job in these assignments! Does the mix-up in this situation fall on the scorekeeper or R2? In my opinion it falls on the scorekeeper who should have told his/her timer to hit the horn if there was a problem. Evidently this did not happen and the R2 forgot that Faith Baptist was out of timeouts.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:23am
Resident VB Rules Guru

I am still trying to figure out what is going on with this Discussion Board. I have posted responses twice this week and when I came back the next day, they were gone! Frustrating to say the least, but let's try again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
...Does the mix-up in this situation fall on the scorekeeper or R2? In my opinion it falls on the scorekeeper who should have told his/her timer to hit the horn if there was a problem. Evidently this did not happen and the R2 forgot that Faith Baptist was out of timeouts.
IMO, BOTH are responsible for catching the error. The Scorekeeper should have immediately notified the Umpire (R2) when Faith Baptist made the request for the third time-out assuming that both time-outs had been recorded on the scoresheet. It is evident that one of these did not happen. In the same way, the Umpire (R2) should have remembered that both time-outs had been used and not acknowledged the request. However, once it was discovered that this was a third time-out, the umpire should have ended the time-out immediately, gotten the teams back on the court and assessed Faith Baptist with a Loss of Rally giving a point to Desert Christian for the excess time-out.

I am wondering what the Referee was doing during this time period. Was the situation brought to the Referee's attention? Who made the decision to ignore the penalty for an excess time-out? There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the officials not knowing the correct penalty to assess and then failing to assess it in this situation. It doesn't matter if they didn't want to assess it because they felt the mistake was due to an official's error (which is the only reason I can think that this error was allowed). Once Faith Baptist made the request for the time-out and it was acknowledged, the penalty should have been enforced.

I would love to know exactly what the officials were thinking and what their reasoning was for not enforcing the proper penalty especially since there is no justification for it anywhere in the rules or case books.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MCBear]I am still trying to figure out what is going on with this Discussion Board. I have posted responses twice this week and when I came back the next day, they were gone! Frustrating to say the least, but let's try again...

Maybe the moderators have it in for you!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:33am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Maybe the moderators have it in for you!
If I had done something violating the Forum rules, I am sure that the moderators would have notified me of the fact. I think that there must have been a glitch in the system. Oh, well...stuff happens!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

You do know that I was totally joking right!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 03:03pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

I knew that, but I wanted to make sure that no one misinterpreted what you said!