View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy I'm done

The team I serve as official scorekeeper for was eliminated in southern section semi-finals so I won't be seeing you in San Jose,Mcbear! I had an interesting postseason though:

2'nd round Match:
Had to call a wrong server on the first side-out of the match for home team!

Quarter-Final Match:
Visiting team coach called a timeout she did not have. I caught it but my R2 was a little slow to realize what was happening. My R1 actually realized it was an extra timeout before R2 did!

Scorekeeper I feel bad for: Bermuda Dunes Desert Christian (Horror Story is below

Conquerors' CIF championship dream denied
Volleyball team comes up short in quest for 4th trip to finals

Alejandro Rodriguez • The Desert Sun • November 14, 2007

BERMUDA DUNES - A disputed call ended Desert Christian's hopes of reaching the CIF Division V-AA volleyball championship for a fourth consecutive time as they were defeated by Faith Baptist of Canoga Park on Tuesday night.

In the fourth game with the Conquerors trailing 22-20, a timeout was called by Faith Baptist despite them not having one available.

By rule, Desert Christian should've been awarded an automatic point and the serve. However, the call was missed and the Contenders went on to score the two points they needed to end the Conquerors' hopes of a third consecutive CIF championships.

Faith Baptist won 25-22, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23.

Conquerors' coach Stu Rowland was disappointed by the ruling.

"We played hard," Rowland said. "You just hate to have your team's hopes ended by a blown call, but then again that's why you play hard to try and avoid those situations. All in all, both sides played hard. It was a fun match."

The Conquerors also suffered a major injury in the first game as outside hitter Ally Doyle suffered a badly sprained left ankle and was unable to continue.

Senior Kelsey Kolar thought that the loss of Doyle put the Conquerors in a tough position.

"We were unlucky in the first game," Kolar said. "Losing a key player like Ally made it hard to regroup. We were ready to play physically, but mentally we weren't."

Senior Jen Trahan said the team tried its best to regroup.

"I think we did a good job of trying to regroup, but it just wasn't enough," Trahan said.

The first game saw the Conquerors jump out to an early 9-3 lead, but they were unable to hold it as the Contenders came away with the 25-22 victory.

In the second game, the Conquerors rallied from a late deficit to win 25-21.

In the third game, the Contenders jumped ahead early and held off a late Conqueror rally in winning 25-20.

The fourth game saw the Conquerors fall behind 14-6 and then rally to tie it at 23, before ultimatley falling 25-23 and thus ending their season.

Rowland was still proud of the way his team kept fighting.

"I'm very proud of the way they played tonight," he said. "They fought all the way to the end, just as they have all year."

Kolar led the Conquerors with 10 kills, eight digs and six aces, while Paige Dieker also had 10 kills.

Jen Essig had 31 assists, and Kiara Gamble had four blocks.

Desert Christian concludes its season with a record of 18-5 and 12-0 in Victory League.

To those of you with HS matches remaining,
Good Luck