The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Finished up with a second round boys game. Fourth and final playoff game this season (2 boys, 2 girls).

#1 seed against a #4 seed. Called my first intentional foul of the season when a player on the team losing by 25 chased down a breaking guard and grabbed him around both arms. It was like an accident that I knew was going to happen but couldn't prevent.

Time to put the stripes away and dig out the plate shoes. Everyone else, please enjoy the rest of your season.

--Rich

Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Rich....
So you had the Catholic Central vs. Abundant Life game...eh?

Catholic Central is supposed to be one of the teams that could upset Randolph if they make it to the Sectional final at Watertown. I had Randolph first round....they scored 91 points that night and are the real deal!. Ryan Tillema is a great kid! I see that they beat Central WI Christian tonight by 30 points. How did your #1 seed look?

I worked in Portage tonight. Portage easily defeated a "flat" Watertown Luther Prep team. I've had LP before and they didn't look like the same team. Game should have been closer. Portage had a bye first round as a result of their #1 seed. Portage could surprise some folks in the later rounds.

My partner says baseball starts in 3-weeks. He said he may need to force himself to sit down and do his test.

Glad to hear you had a good season....dust those plate shoes off...so they can just get dirt kicked on 'em by some disgruntled coach.

Take it easy....

wl
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:32am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Time to put the stripes away and dig out the plate shoes.
I thought this too. However two days before and the day before my first baseball game I am working a little 5th grade and 7th grade tourney. Then I can officially hang them up.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 01:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Rich....
So you had the Catholic Central vs. Abundant Life game...eh?

Catholic Central is supposed to be one of the teams that could upset Randolph if they make it to the Sectional final at Watertown. I had Randolph first round....they scored 91 points that night and are the real deal!. Ryan Tillema is a great kid! I see that they beat Central WI Christian tonight by 30 points. How did your #1 seed look?

I worked in Portage tonight. Portage easily defeated a "flat" Watertown Luther Prep team. I've had LP before and they didn't look like the same team. Game should have been closer. Portage had a bye first round as a result of their #1 seed. Portage could surprise some folks in the later rounds.

My partner says baseball starts in 3-weeks. He said he may need to force himself to sit down and do his test.

Glad to hear you had a good season....dust those plate shoes off...so they can just get dirt kicked on 'em by some disgruntled coach.

Take it easy....

wl
Catholic Central came out flat and Abundant Life came out strong and had an 8-point lead in the first quarter. But Catholic Central wore them down. Final was 82-63 and it didn't seem that close.

We had an unfortunate situation in the fourth quarter that necessitated a report to the state office. I called an intentional foul on a breakaway and hesitated to make sure that both players were back up on their feet before reporting.

I'm at the table reporting and giving the visiting coach a clarification on the intentional when I hear a whistle and I knew there was a technical called behind me.

Turns out that the ball ended up in the stands and one of the kids in the home student section threw the ball at one of the players from the visiting team and hit him with it.

With the intentional foul and this action, my partner decided to call a technical foul on the home team for the action of this kid. Frankly, I supported this wholeheartedly as an unnecessary foul combined with this activity set up a powder keg we didn't need with 1:30 left and a 20-25 point lead.

The best part of the night? The Catholic Central coach called me over, I'm thinking, to explain how we called a technical foul on a spectator. I was just about to tell him that I was going to have to get my partner to explain as I was reporting the foul at the time it happened when he simply said, "Please tell your partner I have no problem at all with that call." I must've looked surprised, because he said it again.

Now, the kicker. We missed how the ball got in the stands in the first place. A player from the visiting team threw there and said "shut the **** up." I know this to be true because my wife was sitting one section down and backed up the story in the car. I was reporting and clarifying and my partner was watching a larger group of players -- apparently this happened pretty quickly.

Once we found this out, I felt pretty terrible and decided to apologize to the home coach on behalf of the two of us for missing that. He wouldn't hear it. He told me that the visiting team players weren't his concern, but the action of his student was. All the coaches and game management personnel were outstanding to us during and after the game.

Could we have handled this better to have seen this? Possibly. Something I'll toss around in my head for the next few days. But I'm convinced that the day is here for that third official. No guarantees that with a third official we see the original act, but I'd say it would've been twice as likely. And more likely, there would've been a center official on that side of the floor and perhaps none of this would've happened in the first place.

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Mar 4th, 2005 at 01:48 AM]
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Rich....
What a fiasco....sounds like you and your partner handled it as best as you could. WIAA is long overdue here in Wisconsin for the 3rd official. I have always felt the issue has been a "safety" issue. I happen to be a school board member in our district and have advocated 3-whistle for the last two-three years...all I get in discussion is the "expense" excuse. Our superintendent is a member of the WIAA Board of Control. I've spoken to her several times about situations where an extra pair of eyes can greatly contribute to the overall safety and conduct of the game with regard to sportsmanship issues as well. She has agreed in principle and believes that WIAA will approve, but it's still going to be left in the hands of school administrators and ADs. With budgets being critical in most districts....adding the additional expense for the extra official at the varsity level is not a priority in the greater scope of district budget additions....we just need to continue "educating" the key people and get this done once and for all for the greater "good" of the game!

I'd like to share your comments about the game with our Superintendent so she can pass on another perspective to members of the WIAA Board of Control at their next meeting...with your permission, of course.

Our game at Portage wasn't as eventful as yours. I did get a new butt hole carved in me when Prep's coach thought I missed a traveling call when I granted a time out to the kid he thought travelled. I explained to him the player could not travel as he didn't have possession of the loose ball. Both players were sliding on the floor trying to get the ball....the Portage kid recovered and gained possession and realized that he couldn't pass off without committing a travel so he signalled for a timeout which I granted. Opponent coach blew chow thinking that in the scrum the Portage kid had to have travelled because he had possession. Well you see the problem....he sees what he sees and believes what he sees....and of course I inform him that there was no control until the Portage player regained possession at which time he signalled for the TO. Other than that....game went fairly well. I will mention that when we were leaving LP's coach came up and apologized for his behavior...a parent had videotaped the game and while the coaches were waiting for their players, viewed that particular play situation....he said the call was correct...the ball was "visibly" loose and not in control until I recognized the TO by the player. Pheww....(Hey...let's talk about replay??) HA....HA....

That's why I love this game!

later....

wl
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Rich....
What a fiasco....sounds like you and your partner handled it as best as you could. WIAA is long overdue here in Wisconsin for the 3rd official. I have always felt the issue has been a "safety" issue. I happen to be a school board member in our district and have advocated 3-whistle for the last two-three years...all I get in discussion is the "expense" excuse. Our superintendent is a member of the WIAA Board of Control. I've spoken to her several times about situations where an extra pair of eyes can greatly contribute to the overall safety and conduct of the game with regard to sportsmanship issues as well. She has agreed in principle and believes that WIAA will approve, but it's still going to be left in the hands of school administrators and ADs. With budgets being critical in most districts....adding the additional expense for the extra official at the varsity level is not a priority in the greater scope of district budget additions....we just need to continue "educating" the key people and get this done once and for all for the greater "good" of the game!

I'd like to share your comments about the game with our Superintendent so she can pass on another perspective to members of the WIAA Board of Control at their next meeting...with your permission, of course.

Our game at Portage wasn't as eventful as yours. I did get a new butt hole carved in me when Prep's coach thought I missed a traveling call when I granted a time out to the kid he thought travelled. I explained to him the player could not travel as he didn't have possession of the loose ball. Both players were sliding on the floor trying to get the ball....the Portage kid recovered and gained possession and realized that he couldn't pass off without committing a travel so he signalled for a timeout which I granted. Opponent coach blew chow thinking that in the scrum the Portage kid had to have travelled because he had possession. Well you see the problem....he sees what he sees and believes what he sees....and of course I inform him that there was no control until the Portage player regained possession at which time he signalled for the TO. Other than that....game went fairly well. I will mention that when we were leaving LP's coach came up and apologized for his behavior...a parent had videotaped the game and while the coaches were waiting for their players, viewed that particular play situation....he said the call was correct...the ball was "visibly" loose and not in control until I recognized the TO by the player. Pheww....(Hey...let's talk about replay??) HA....HA....

That's why I love this game!

later....

wl
Feel free to use this, WL. Of course I didn't include any of that in my report to the state. It's no excuse for missing something on the court, just a fact that a third official increases the number of eyes by 50%.