The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Title IX controversy in NY

Hereby most unbiased accounts, he definitely gave the one team an advantage..how do you feel?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:39pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I thought that California was the only state that was crazy! It is totally incomprehensible to allow boys to play on a girls' team, especially volleyball. It doesn't matter about the freakin' evaluation panel - they don't have experience with boys' volleyball if their school doesn't sponsor the sport. HS Boys are stronger, faster and more physical than their female counterparts. Therefore, there is not an even playing ground when a guy is allowed to play in a girls' volleyball match.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

But.....

Everybody knew something like this was coming sometime after Title IX got reworked in the Clinton Administration. It is a shame, and I have no idea how that guy could show in his face in school playing on a girls team.

But because of the politics, I almost hope they win the state.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Nice tie in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Everybody knew something like this was coming sometime after Title IX got reworked in the Clinton Administration. It is a shame, and I have no idea how that guy could show in his face in school playing on a girls team.

But because of the politics, I almost hope they win the state.
In my circle of friends we have a saying when something goes wrong. "It's Hillary's fault."

i will be linking and sending this one out to everybody. The Clintons are at fault for some knucklehead playing Girls Volleyball...

Next we'll be blaming Chelsea cause Dick Cheney can't shoot straight.....
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I hope you are being serious

Chess ref,

Technically it is not Hillary, itwas withe rthe Dept. of Ed or HHS that promogated the new rules in 94 or 95, when equal access changed to proportional represetation. Also, the rules got loosened to allow stuff like this, and since the school doesn't have boys VB, look what you get.

It is almost funny to hear some responses. One mom there said, no big deal, another person said the coach is a jerk because she played the guy, like she shouldn't.

The whole situation is a gas if it isn;t so sad.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

If girls want the right to wrestle and play football, then they've gotta deal with this as well. Leave your double standards at the door.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

All the same sports

Or we could just give'em all the same oppournaties. (sp).

We have girls wrestling in our section of California. I read over on the football board,?, that flag football for girls is growing pretty big in Florida. We also have boys volleyball in our area. Then they would have the same stuff.

This subject has been beaten to death on these boards. Bottom line for me ....young man get some self respect, join the football team and stop picking on the girls.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

It's OK in Pa!

In Pennsylvania, boys are allowed to play on girls' teams in high school if the school does not not field a comparable boys team (boys can't play on the girls basketball team if there is a boys team, nor can they play on the girls' softball team if they have boys baseball, etc.). Likewise girls can play on boys' teams if there is not a comparable girls' sport. I can't reference the exact time that rule came into existence but it was directly in response to Title IX.

I'm not going to debate whether it is good or bad, it is what it is. There have been several teams in our area that had boys on the girls' volleyball team but they were never a factor. The boys were not very good at the game and played very sparingly (probably because it was a bigger disadvantage for the team on which they played!)

I have been told that if a competitive team had a good, strong boy playing for them, most other teams would simply chose to forfeit that match (or drop them from the schedule if it was a non-league match).

One reason that boys have gone out for a girls' volleyball team is to pressure the school administration to field a boys' team. The hope is that the publicity will force the school board's hand to form a boys team. There are certainly other ways to go about getting a boys' team but it has worked in the past so we can expect it to happen in the future. I don't know if that was the reason the boy in New York was playing but if I had to guess, I would bet he tried to get the school to form a boys' team but was unsuccessful.

I have coached boys volleyball in the past and now coach girls. I had heard rumblings that some boys were thinking of trying out for our team this past August. Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with that issue but I can understand the frustration of some boys that truly just want to be given a chance to play volleyball for their high school. Certainly there are opportunities to play club ball but not all areas are hotbeds for boys' volleyball. In our area, the local high schools have their own club teams and are usually not very receptive to adding players from other schools. I hope that someday our school supports a boys' team so never have to deal with boys trying out for our team (plus, I could get a chance to coach boys and girls at the same school!)
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Maybe I'm off base, but speaking on *this particular situation...*

The kid's equivalent to a fairly good (at best) girl. I didn't see anything spectacular from him in the video, certainly nothing along the lines of hitting the attack line out of the back row, jump serving people off the court, etc., that was being claimed by some people in one of the articles.

I also saw girls hitting down the lines fairly easily on him. Didn't see the supreme vertical touch that was being claimed either.

Having seen the recent Illinois State Finals, I'm not sure he would have been a starter on any of the 16 teams encompassing the 4 classes.

Much ado about very little, IMO. I don't think he provided much of a competitive advantage, other than perhaps being better than whomever his backup was.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee