The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Here is one where my partner got me in hot water.A JV boys game last night and I'm the lead under the basket.The ball is moving back and forth at the top of the key."A" stops on my side just below the free throw extended and starts to shoot right at the three point line.As I'm trying to see where his feet line up ,I can see out of the corner of my eye my partner is signalling three point shot.It looks like his foot is very close if not on the line so I think well its very close but my partner is signalling three so I let it go.The bad thing is the coach of "B" is yelling why didn't I make the call?He calls time-out and I go to him and he says isn"t that your call?The best response I have is yes normally it is but my partner had already come out strong with a call so I let it go.Later I discussed this with my partner and it won't happen again.My question is anybody got a better response for the coach?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Here is one where my partner got me in hot water.A JV boys game last night and I'm the lead under the basket.The ball is moving back and forth at the top of the key."A" stops on my side just below the free throw extended and starts to shoot right at the three point line.As I'm trying to see where his feet line up ,I can see out of the corner of my eye my partner is signalling three point shot.It looks like his foot is very close if not on the line so I think well its very close but my partner is signalling three so I let it go.The bad thing is the coach of "B" is yelling why didn't I make the call?He calls time-out and I go to him and he says isn"t that your call?The best response I have is yes normally it is but my partner had already come out strong with a call so I let it go.Later I discussed this with my partner and it won't happen again.My question is anybody got a better response for the coach?
"My partner stays with the ball until I pick it up. I didn't pick it up until after the shooting motion. That makes it his call."
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great topic for your pre-game discussion.

I would probably say something like--this is a dual coverage area and my partner obviously had a great look at it. I picked it up late and didn't have as good of a look as he did.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 05:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Both are excellent ways to handle this!

Thanks!

..Mike

Edit: Why I'd like to know is why is the coach concerned about who is making a call like that. He's showing that a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. My ears open up when I hear a coach with these concerns.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Feb 1st, 2001 at 09:10 AM]
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, back up your partner.

Remember you're a team and teammates stay together, by telling the coach "yes normally..." your giving the coach fuel to go burn your partner. One of my lines are "coach i was focused on the battle in the post, if my partner had it as a three, it was a three". Again this is something that needs to be talked about in pre-game.

keep smiling
SH
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

How about this one. As some of you know, I am a new official (second season). My first opportunity to "advance" earlier this season came at a High School JV girls' game. Just before half time (I'm trail) there's a last-second-buzzer shot...I signal a successful 3-point shot. The coach for the opposing team goes nuts stating that she didn't get it off in time. When my partner comes across the floor, the coach asks him "What did you think about that?". My partner replies (sort of wincing with his face) "Not my call coach". Was that adequate to back me up? How could he have better responded? I need to know because surely I will be in his position down-the-line and be posed with the same question.

Thanks,
Becky
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I would hope he would have backed you up better than that.

When asked I always give the coach the same answer. "I had the same thing coach".

This workes especially well when you have double whistles and you defer, he never knows the difference, and you look like a team.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

To juggling ref.I agree the coach with a question like that got my attention and threw me,I thought he would just question the call then I was ready to say yes I had it the same way.I don't know but the coach probably had some officiating in his background.Next time I will be covered in my pre-game.To Kelly awesome responseand thanks everyone!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I've been in several situations where I felt that my partner made a questionable call that the coach(es) have questioned. However, I have always felt that if my partner made the call, (s)he's right, regardless of what I saw/thought (unless I have definite knowledge). Therefore, I will always make a strong pitch for my partner to enforce to both the coach and my partner that we have faith in each other on the floor. You can never have a partner that believes in you too much. Besides, I like to have the same respect from my partner(s)...let the coach know that I'm capable by sticking up for me, and I'll feel that much more confident
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

From another 2nd year guy

Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
How about this one. As some of you know, I am a new official (second season). My first opportunity to "advance" earlier this season came at a High School JV girls' game. Just before half time (I'm trail) there's a last-second-buzzer shot...I signal a successful 3-point shot. The coach for the opposing team goes nuts stating that she didn't get it off in time. When my partner comes across the floor, the coach asks him "What did you think about that?". My partner replies (sort of wincing with his face) "Not my call coach". Was that adequate to back me up? How could he have better responded? I need to know because surely I will be in his position down-the-line and be posed with the same question.

Thanks,
Becky
Becky,

I would hope your partner would say, "Coach, excellent call!" or at least sell, "Coach, I wasn't watching the ball. I didn't get a look at it." I never want to hear, "Wasn't my call." because that conveys disagreement in my partner's call. If a coach can isolate you and your partner, he is better able to work the official feeling isolated.

That said, I'll convey something from my game last night. My partner is L and calls a shooting foul on B1 underneath. Team B coach goes crazy, fans go crazy, and he kind of had that, "Crap, did I really screw that one up that bad" look. I shouted to him, "Good call. She hit her with plenty of body." My partner's facial expression changed from "uh-oh" to "that was a great call". (It was a great call, but I'd do that anytime because I appreciate partners who are supportive. Those are the guys/gals I want to work with)
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I agree you should never say, "It's not my call." If you have to say something like that, say that your partner was much closer and had a better look, or something like that.

Years ago I was at a Trailblazer game when Jack Ramsey was still coaching. He yelled at ref Dick Bavetta about a call. Bevetta responded that it wasn't his call. Ramsey yelled back, "You're a ref! If it's not your call, whose call is it - the popcorn guy?"

Frankly, I think that's a pretty good comeback.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Ref got Dave'd

A coach "DAVES" a ref. -- Ouch!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 03:47pm
Suppref

Your only friend...

Your partner is your only friend out there. If he makes a call and coach wants a respose from me I always respond with,"I would have liked to get a better look at that one, coach. He had a good look." That in most cases can get no response.

Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Few years ago my mentor said to keep responses to three words or less. The more you say the more ammunition you give the coach.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 06:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Few years ago my mentor said to keep responses to three words or less.
Geez - that would put Dave out of business