The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
First HS Game Ever

I will be doing my first HS Volleyball match in about 2 weeks. I've studied the rule and case book and am looking for more things to know before I just into my first match.

Are there any tendencies I should know?

What do I really have to look for?

What do I need to bring to the match?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Luke,

Welcome! Most of the High School officials are finishing up there season around the country and are filled with tournaments and things. You must be from Michigan? Season there is just starting in December.

My recommendations is to make sure you have a good experienced partner. Volleyball at the high school level is much faster and better than the old bump...bump...bump of the lower levels. Know the rules, know the game, and above all, watch the ball! If you relax and let your partner lead, you should get in the flow of things pretty quick. Ask other veteran officials to watch you and give you advice. Don't take criticism personally, especially from other officials.

Another thing you want to make sure you do is to join a good volleyball official's association. They can help develop your skills in officiating and can help answer any tough questions you may have. Good Luck!

Paul
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS site

The NFHS forum has great volleyball people. Alot of college officials who do high school. That site is where most of the VB concerning HS happens.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I am a new offcial also and I was just wondering what people do to check the lineups and serving order? I got a disc with that stuff on it but I did't know if that worked or what others used. I havve seen other offcials jsut use a 3x5 index card. Any suggestions?? THanks!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
I am a new offcial also and I was just wondering what people do to check the lineups and serving order? I got a disc with that stuff on it but I did't know if that worked or what others used. I havve seen other offcials jsut use a 3x5 index card. Any suggestions?? THanks!
I use a custom made card that is about 1 1/2 x 3 with all the information printed on it (position number, # of substitutions, time outs, team names, etc.). The card has a hard, clear lamenent on it so I can write in pencil and erase after each match. I use small paperclips to keep track of server.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm one that uses the 3x5 cardwhich I fold in half to keep it in one hand. I simply list the numbers of the players in serving order. The rest is all memory of the numbers. I usually track the 3 backrow players, because that is where most of your overlaps and fouls occur. Memorizing the numbers also keeps you in the game mentally. It takes a bit to start with, but you only have to remember 3 numbers on each side.

Others that I know use the disk as well. Just remember, that you should never become dependant on your card/disk. I've seen too many officials that are too busy looking at the card to notice any play. I've also seen the other side where they are too busy watching the play that they never catch overlaps or rotation problems.

Time will be your teacher. Learn the game and enjoy it!

Last edited by blueump; Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10:01am.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I use both, but really like the 3x5 better. The wheel is fine, but takes more work than the card for me.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:38pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I have used ...

I have used a plastic card that could be erased after each game and, also, a custom made double wheel that fit in the palm of my hand. Each side of the custom-made item had a wheel that had a spring-loaded lock underneath the wheel so that when you rotated the wheel to show who was in RB, etc., it would not slide around without doing an intentional turn to rotate the wheel. I used it until 1995 when a National Official told me to lose it and learn to keep the rotations in my head.

I do use a small form that has both starting line-ups and libero on it but I only use it when I am working a match by myself and do not have an umpire to check lineups. I check the starting lineups and then put it in my pocket. It stays there unless I lose my rotation and need a refresher as to who is supposed to be where!

I usually track all six rotations using the setter and captain as my guides. I always want to know where my captain is located and, also, the setter and whether the setter is front-row or back-row at any given time.The rest of it is simply based on experience and getting used to seeing the alignments that coaches and teams throw at you.

As was posted, get hooked up with an experienced partner who can guide you through the ropes. In addition, if you have the opportunity, go watch some of the better officials in your area work matches and pick their brains for techniques and tips that may help you.

Good luck as you begin your volleyball officiating career!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I can do it in my head as well, however, we were told by the state that during high school games, the umpire MUST keep a line-up card. Those that do not are marked down!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
I can do it in my head as well, however, we were told by the state that during high school games, the umpire MUST keep a line-up card. Those that do not are marked down!
"Keeping" it and "overly using" it are two totally unrelated things.

Use it to write the lineup down, mark subs and timeouts, and if you absolutely have to, to check a lineup in a pinch. But really, you're better off learning the serve receive rotations themselves, rather than learning how to look at your card.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 10:57am.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:33pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Well said, Felix! One of my mantras for many years has been that too often the umpire has his/her head in the line-up card rather than the line-up in his/her head. If the focus is on the card, what happens during the game (set in USAV) WILL be missed - guaranteed!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I remember the line-ups as well. I rarely during the match have to refer to my card, but I keep it in my hand as the umpire is required to do, to record substitutions and time outs. I am not one who "overly" uses my card, but have seen others, as you mention that do. they never watch the net or line, because they are either watching their card, or the ball.

My response was in no way a personal attack, I was just concerned when you said that you only use a card when working alone. Federation ball, which most high school rules fall under, require that a line-up card be kept by the umpire for every game.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 01:34pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

No offense taken

blueump, I did not take your response as a personal attack. I agree that the NFHS Rules Book requires the umpire to keep a line-up card, however out here on the left coast, most of the time we use the line-up card as a teaching tool for less-experienced officials. We encourage the umpire to learn to track the rotations on the court with whatever method they are comfortable using but eventually to learn to do it without relying on a line-up card.

As I said before, I do not use a line-up card except when I am working a match by myself and I do not have an umpire to assist me. Otherwise, when I am the umpire, I put the line-up sheets on the table behind me so that I can turn my head and see the rotations for each team quickly. And, if I am totally unsure of the rotation for the receiving team, I will ask my scorekeeper for the next three servers (that gives me my front row) and then I am back on-track.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

My first game is tonight, and I was wondering what I wear to the game. I know that i wear the white shirt with the black pants and all that but I was just wondering I wear like my normal winter coat or what? Thanks for your hlep!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My first game is tonight, and I was wondering what I wear to the game. I know that i wear the white shirt with the black pants and all that but I was just wondering I wear like my normal winter coat or what? Thanks for your hlep!
If the weather if cold, wear the coat to the game site. Depending on the school, they will have facilities for you to change into a uniform. Ohio has the white shirt with a logo from the state orginization. If you dress in uniform, carry your game shoes in and change at the site. You don't need to be tracking in dirt, water, ice, slush, snow or whatever from the outside to the court.

Good Luck and have fun.