View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
I am a new offcial also and I was just wondering what people do to check the lineups and serving order? I got a disc with that stuff on it but I did't know if that worked or what others used. I havve seen other offcials jsut use a 3x5 index card. Any suggestions?? THanks!
I'm one that uses the 3x5 cardwhich I fold in half to keep it in one hand. I simply list the numbers of the players in serving order. The rest is all memory of the numbers. I usually track the 3 backrow players, because that is where most of your overlaps and fouls occur. Memorizing the numbers also keeps you in the game mentally. It takes a bit to start with, but you only have to remember 3 numbers on each side.

Others that I know use the disk as well. Just remember, that you should never become dependant on your card/disk. I've seen too many officials that are too busy looking at the card to notice any play. I've also seen the other side where they are too busy watching the play that they never catch overlaps or rotation problems.

Time will be your teacher. Learn the game and enjoy it!

Last edited by blueump; Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10:01am.