The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2023, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Coin Toss

I had this question come up in a wRECk League match the other night and then brought to my attention by the same captain (now a spectator) tonight.

During the coin toss, I always desginate the team on my left as heads and on the right as tails. I was told this is the procedure to use under USAV rules since we often don't have a "home" team designated.

I checked the USAV rules and it basically only says the referee shall conduct a coin toss with the captains present.

What is the proper procedure for a coin toss when niether team is designated as home for the match.

We do use USAV rules with modification in the league.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

In the very few USAV matches I've done, there is always some designations / standard like "the team listed first is the home team" or "the team at the top of the bracket is the home team"
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I had this question come up in a wRECk League match the other night and then brought to my attention by the same captain (now a spectator) tonight.

During the coin toss, I always desginate the team on my left as heads and on the right as tails. I was told this is the procedure to use under USAV rules since we often don't have a "home" team designated.

I checked the USAV rules and it basically only says the referee shall conduct a coin toss with the captains present.

What is the proper procedure for a coin toss when niether team is designated as home for the match.

We do use USAV rules with modification in the league.
Under normal USAV rules, you merely designate one side of the coin to one side, and the other side of the coin to the other side. It could be heads/tails, tails/heads, red/blue, etc.

Then after the shared court time, serving team hits first, followed by receiving team, and in the case of adult play, the teams can share the hitting time (splitting the segments however they agree upon).

Hope this helps.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Fri Apr 07, 2023 at 07:55pm.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Under normal USAV rules, you merely designate one side of the coin to one side, and the other side of the coin to he other side. It could be heads/tails, tails/heads, red/blue, etc.

Then after the shared court time, serving team hits first, followed by receiving team, and in the case of adult play, the teams can share the hitting time (splitting the segments however they agree upon).

Hope this helps.
Exactly what I was looking for. Is there a rule reference for this anywhere?
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Exactly what I was looking for. Is there a rule reference for this anywhere?
From the USAV DCR:

Coin Toss Procedure: REFEREE TECHNIQUES Section 2: Coin toss procedures:
USA Volleyball does not designate “home” or “visitor” teams, so the 1st referee designates a side of the coin for each team during the pre-match and deciding set coin tosses. The coin is tossed and caught, and the result immediately revealed without turning the coin over. If the coin is dropped, it shall be re-tossed. The captain who wins the coin toss has the options of serving or receiving the serve, or the side of the court to occupy. The opposing captain then chooses from the remaining options.

Warmup Procedure (Adults/Juniors): G. WARM-UP PROCEDURES ADULT COMPETITION:
1. Usually, because of limited time, the teams preparing to play the next match must be ready to take the court immediately at the end of the previous match. Warm-up time for the teams vary from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the tournament guidelines.
2. After the coin toss, one of the following warm-up procedures is specified:
a. The warm-up time is split evenly in two, with the serving team taking the court for the first half and the receiving team taking the court for the second half. The teams may use the entire court in whatever manner they choose during their time, including serving practice.
b. Shared hitting - both teams using the court to practice hitting at the net. The court should be split down the middle, perpendicular to the net so that the teams are hitting from their left side and down the line. Each team may practice blocking its own players. For the safety of the players, the referees should monitor that teams are not hitting into each other. If the teams are unable or unwilling to control their hitting, the referee would have the teams revert to option a or c.
c. A variation of “a” and “b” is to allow both teams to serve together for the last minute or two of the warm-up period. For example, if the total warm-up time is five minutes, the teams would share the court for four minutes and serve together for one minute (option a) or each would use the court for two minutes separately and then serve together for one minute (option b).

Junior Competition:
1.1.For National Junior Volleyball events, the 2-4-4 format is typically used. The first two minutes are for ball handling on a team’s own side of the court, followed by four minutes of the entire court use by the serving team and then 4 minutes for the receiving team. When one team has use of the full court, the opponent must be at their team bench or may offer to retrieve practice balls to assist the team on the court. Serving is conducted during each team’s four minutes. Shared hitting/serving is prohibited at Junior events.

Hope this helps.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you.