The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Coin Toss

I had a funny discussion with one of my crew members regarding my practice of letting the coin hit the ground during the toss. He told me the NFHS manual said the coin should be caught (indirectly, since it instructs the R to tell the captains that he will retoss if the coin isn't caught).

Now, I have no intention of changing my practice of letting the coin drop to the ground -- I think it's silly to have to worry about catching the coin and presenting it to the captains -- it speaks for itself on the ground. But I'd like to hear from referees on this list -- do you catch the coin or let it drop?

Last edited by Rich; Sun Aug 20, 2006 at 05:33pm.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am no longer the Referee on my crew so take this for what it is worth.

I let the coin hit the ground. I was aware of what the NF says, but it never made sense to me. I always watched the guys on TV do it that way, so that was always what I did. Most of my Referees that I worked with on other crews let the coin drop. I think it looks better and I think catching seems silly.

I also never heard anyone from my state or clinicians make a big deal out of this. I guess it comes back to what works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 05:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am no longer the Referee on my crew so take this for what it is worth.

I let the coin hit the ground. I was aware of what the NF says, but it never made sense to me. I always watched the guys on TV do it that way, so that was always what I did. Most of my Referees that I worked with on other crews let the coin drop. I think it looks better and I think catching seems silly.

I also never heard anyone from my state or clinicians make a big deal out of this. I guess it comes back to what works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

Peace

I do tell the captains that if the coin rolls outside of the players I'll toss again. It's never happened.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I happen to be an R. I was a LJ when I signed up for this forumin '03. Yes, I let the coin hit the ground and my evaluators always criticize me for it. I used to catch the coin but there were a couple of times where I caught it at the "outside" of my palms and I didn't think that looked very good. And, once the wind took the coin and it hit the ground. That looked stupid and thank God that was a JV game. I'm adamant about letting it hit the ground and think that's the way to go. The only way I'd catch it if there was a lot of mud and the coin stood a chance of landing on it's side and "sticking" in that position.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

We catch. No one locally that I know of let's it hit the ground.

It's no big deal. The state mandates that we do the toss with the coaches before the game. Drop it, nobody sees it except two coaches.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

We toss it on the field and I let it drop. I have a HUGE coin, about 3 inches diameter. It is very easy to see what it is.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

We caught it in SC and we catch it in Tennessee. I once had a referee in SC drop it and lose it in the grass. As umpire, I had a backup. The R also had a backup. Never did find that silver dollar in the grass.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I catch it. No need to worry about it standing on edge in deep grass, or rolling away on turf. Fortunately, I've never dropped it (probably just jinxed myself).
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I usually let it drop. The only time I catch it is if it is really muddy or if the grass is really high.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

We catch the coin. A lot of the fields have some tall grass so there were times that the coin wouldn't land flat but get stuck sticking up. Is it heads or tails? Looks like both side are showing. There were also the times where the coin would get lost in the grass. We'd end up doing more re-tosses due to those reasons than we do currently by catching the coin.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I always catch it unless the game is on fake grass, then I let it drop to the ground. You never want a situation where you have to toss it twice, looks unprofessional.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich, got a problem catching????LOL
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I catch it. Also use it to break the ice with the captains a bit by saying "If I drop it, I'll flip it again. And I've never dropped it." If I happen to drop it (has happened twice on windy days), the players get a kick out of it - and I will probably end up buying the first round for the crew that night. I once considered giving the coin to the calling captain if I dropped it - but it's a special flipping coin and not worth anything to a player.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Easy: Catch. If I drop it or miss it, redo it, and I say so before the toss.

I don't want to take a chance on it hitting someone's foot (or something similar) and then saying we will redo it in case that gives the impression that I didn't like the outcome of the toss and will do it again. Rarely do I worry about unreasonable complaints, especially potential complaints, but why mess around when its a hell of a lot easier to catch it (not to mention the fact that it takes less time) and there can be no argument or issue?
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I catch it.

I used to let it drop, but on the newer fields, that fake-grass/crushed rubber stuff can catch the coin on edge, and did just that in one of my games. I've caught it ever since.