The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Coin toss or coin flip?

Have you ever done what the ref did at the coin toss for the overtime of the Cardinals/Packers game? (i.e. for those who don't give a rat's a$$ about the NFL, have a coin not flip at all but just go up and come back down flat.)

If so, what did you do? If not, what would you do?
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 02:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't launch the coin with my thumb - I hold it between my thumb and fingers and spin it as I toss it....so I know it's going to flip.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Had it happen to me in a Pop Warner game about twelve years ago. I was the WH but I didn't toss the coin. The town had two separate organizations in the league and they were playing against each other. They were trying it into make a big show for the community on the schools brand new turf field. The newly elected District Court judge tossed the coin for us and it was just like what happened. Straight up, straight down and didn't bounce. I just went with what was facing up. Nobody complained.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 07:02pm
Administrator

I was the PU in a pool play game during the AAU Boys' Baseball National Tournament many years ago where a number of games had already been played that day on this particular diamond. The soil around HP, even though it had been raked was very soft and when I flipped the coin, the coin landed on edge in the soft soil, . I flipped it again but gave the calling team the chance to recall it again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 07:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I was the PU in a pool play game during the AAU Boys' Baseball National Tournament many years ago where a number of games had already been played that day on this particular diamond. The soil around HP, even though it had been raked was very soft and when I flipped the coin, the coin landed on edge in the soft soil, . I flipped it again but gave the calling team the chance to recall it again.

MTD, Sr.
Did they call "edge" the first time? No? They lost the toss, then.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Its certainly not a big deal. Just pick it up, state that it didn't flip as you had intended, and do it again.
And probably 97% of us has had it happen in some way at some point.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
Its certainly not a big deal. Just pick it up, state that it didn't flip as you had intended, and do it again.
I must be in the 3%
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I must be in the 3%
Ditto.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I'm another 3%er here. But I can't imagine re-flipping it, if it did. If the coin lands, somebody has won the toss and will be rightly angry if you announce that you meant to flip it differently so their win doesn't count.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I'm another 3%er here. But I can't imagine re-flipping it, if it did. If the coin lands, somebody has won the toss and will be rightly angry if you announce that you meant to flip it differently so their win doesn't count.
I disagree here. It's supposed to be a coin flip...the coin should turn over several times to ensue a random result.

I had no issue with The NFL ref flipping again. However, I would have allowed the player to call it again.

When I flip at a softball game, I ask the player to call it while the coin is in the air....Is that a standard practice?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I disagree here. It's supposed to be a coin flip...the coin should turn over several times to ensue a random result.

I had no issue with The NFL ref flipping again. However, I would have allowed the player to call it again.

When I flip at a softball game, I ask the player to call it while the coin is in the air....Is that a standard practice?
In the air or prior to, don't see what difference it makes.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not for me. I assign a side to each team. I'll usually hold it up, with me looking at the edge, and say: "you are the side you see" and flip it with my thumb and index finger (not just my thumb). If a team gets to the plate meeting first (and it's a youth tournament), I may ask which side she would like.

Pet Peeve with a funny story: why do people have to say "heads" or "tails"? My state flipping coin has a flag on one side and the ASA umpire logo on the other. When I allow a player to choose a side, I'll ask: "would you like the flag or the umpire" (while showing both sides). I make a joke in clinics - "strangely enough, all women players say 'flag'". It gets the usual mix of groans and laughter. I repeated that story to a women's SP team waiting to play (we switch fields due to time, and I was called into service as the UIC). The team thought it was a funny story; when it was time for the actual flip, I look at the dugout and said: "what do you want?" and they all said "the umpire!" I think they lost the flip.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I used to ask the captain/coach to call it in the air. I no longer do, after a small fiasco where both captains on a team called it and all I heard was "Teds". Or maybe "Hails". I don't know.

Quote:
Me: "Captain/Coach, I would like you to call the flip: heads or tails?"
Me, confirming: "Heads?"
Me: "Heads is the call, and we have..." [flip] "...tails. Coach, you have the option."

Last edited by teebob21; Wed Jan 20, 2016 at 03:44pm.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Not for me. I assign a side to each team. I'll usually hold it up, with me looking at the edge, and say: "you are the side you see" and flip it with my thumb and index finger (not just my thumb). If a team gets to the plate meeting first (and it's a youth tournament), I may ask which side she would like.

Pet Peeve with a funny story: why do people have to say "heads" or "tails"? My state flipping coin has a flag on one side and the ASA umpire logo on the other. When I allow a player to choose a side, I'll ask: "would you like the flag or the umpire" (while showing both sides). I make a joke in clinics - "strangely enough, all women players say 'flag'". It gets the usual mix of groans and laughter. I repeated that story to a women's SP team waiting to play (we switch fields due to time, and I was called into service as the UIC). The team thought it was a funny story; when it was time for the actual flip, I look at the dugout and said: "what do you want?" and they all said "the umpire!" I think they lost the flip.
I always assign, as well. My normal coins says "Heads" and "Tails"; 3rd base dugout (my left) is heads, 1st base (my right) is tails.

Same issue as to pet peeve; "The flag is heads, the skyline of Atlanta is tails", who freaking cares? Coin flips do not require translation to heads or tails, just two distinct sides. If I'm using THAT coin, "You're (3rd base) the flag, you're (1st base) the skyline. I hear the former, and a HUGE number of times it's followed by (after the toss) "Which side was heads?"

Anyone else remember when ASA felt the need to state that the flag on their coin is NEVER the tails??
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 06:20am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Not for me. I assign a side to each team. I'll usually hold it up, with me looking at the edge, and say: "you are the side you see" and flip it
I have an old ASA coin with the old ASA logo on one side and the back side of a JACKA$$ on the other side that I keep in my bag and will at times bring it out and tell the coaches you are what you see.

Sometime it's my real feeling of that coach and on occasion it's for laughs

Additionally I have edged 3 coin tosses in my career.