Thread: Coin Toss
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 07, 2023, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I had this question come up in a wRECk League match the other night and then brought to my attention by the same captain (now a spectator) tonight.

During the coin toss, I always desginate the team on my left as heads and on the right as tails. I was told this is the procedure to use under USAV rules since we often don't have a "home" team designated.

I checked the USAV rules and it basically only says the referee shall conduct a coin toss with the captains present.

What is the proper procedure for a coin toss when niether team is designated as home for the match.

We do use USAV rules with modification in the league.
Under normal USAV rules, you merely designate one side of the coin to one side, and the other side of the coin to the other side. It could be heads/tails, tails/heads, red/blue, etc.

Then after the shared court time, serving team hits first, followed by receiving team, and in the case of adult play, the teams can share the hitting time (splitting the segments however they agree upon).

Hope this helps.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee

Last edited by FMadera; Fri Apr 07, 2023 at 07:55pm.