The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2018, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Illegal Alignment on R2 Side

NHFS mechanics-I am R1. As I am scanning both sides before I whistle for serve, I see the receiving team out of alignment. Typical setter is in middle back pushed up to the net but she is a good 3-5 feet right of the back right defender. I whistle for serve. No call by R2 and serving team wins point. Before next serve, same alignment by receiving team. I give R2 discrete signal but no call. Based on the reception for serve, it is clear that the receiving team did not move into correct alignment before serve. Between sets, I tell my R2 to watch for this. I also tell him that if this rotation is out of alignment, I will give discrete signal. Even if you are not sure, blow your whistle and I can explain. We start the next set, same thing happens, I give discrete, no whistle by R2. Next serve, I give discrete, he looks at me. I know he sees my discrete as he gives me head nod, serve, no whistle. We talked about it after the match and he thought the setter was supposed to be right back even though she was left back. After this long explanation, in NHFS, how many R1s would whistle the illegal alignment on receiving team knowing with 99.9% certainty that they are not just overlapping, but actually out of alignment even though it is not the R1 responsibility?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2018, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I've done it. You have the right to do it, but understand, you run the risk of making your partner look weak. However, if you see it and have given the chance for your partner to make the call, then you have to do what you have to do.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Aug 30, 2018, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Felix, as you know, there is a wide range of abilities at the NHFS level in terms of officials' competence. Normally, I wouldn't make this a big deal but in two different rotations, the players were not overlapping or releasing early, they were lined up out of alignment by a wide margin.

As always, thanks for your opinion.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2018, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this happen last week at a HS tourney. Team was repeatedly out of alignment on the receive throughout the match (I was off this round and watching as the tourney crew chief). I can see the receiving team is out of alignment for several points, which they lose. We get to match point and then the R1 signals the receiving team out of alignment on a serve into the net.

Let's just say, it made my job a bit more interesting in trying to keep the coach from exploding that he lost the match on an alignment call by the R1 while receiving.

The R2 just did not have a clue.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Would the same apply with R2 noticing the serving team (way) out of alignment?
Old Fri Aug 31, 2018, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

As a relative newbie on VB, I wouldn't have a problem as long as the R1 have me first chance and signalled me. It's a fine line between getting the call correct and throwing your partner under the ole proverbial bus.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2018, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you've given me as an R2 a chance to make the call and I don't then it's all yours but be ready to explain to the captain where they're out of alignment. Same on a net or centerline violation. If you've given your R2 an opportunity then don't hesitate to take it yourself. Some of my best learning came this way.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper