The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Calling illegal alignment

Let me start by saying this sort of thing should be talked about in the pre-match discussion. The example I am giving is for NFHS. I am R1 and notice that the receiving team is lining up in an illegal alignment receive formation. Clearly, I cannot see what they look like at time of the serve but I am sure they are out of alignment. I try to discreetly let my partner know but my partner does not notice my signal or just doesn't know what the alignment should be. As the R1, should I call illegal alignment on the receiving team? Same question if I am R2 and notice the serving team is out of alignment prior to the serve and the players are not making any attempt to correct themselves. As R2, should I call illegal alignment on serving team even though I shouldn't be watching them?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

It would be great to discuss this is the pre-match, but not every item can be discussed...or be remembered.

As R1, I would give a low finger swirl signal (as discrete as possible as an R1). If the R2 is oblivious, I would call them over at the next timeout or set break to discuss.

As R2, I would do something similar, but it's far easier to be discrete about it.

Ultimately, it's not your responsibility to make these calls (or even see them) on the side opposite your responsibility. Because of that, a reasonable argument could be made that you shouldn't check or even know about the possible illegal alignment, though it's more likely that you would see this as an R1 (during a brief pre-serve check of the court).

I believe that is a strong argument, if the coaches don't notice and you are working with an experienced partner.

Either way, you will be fine. Use your best judgement how to handle this, but I would be *very* reluctant to whistle these violations outside of your duties.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2016, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Tim, I was thinking the same thing. It is just really hard to let it go when the girls are not just out of alignment from an overlap but out of position.