The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Tracking Alignment

Hi all,

Since many VB officiating associations are beginning the training meetings, clinics, etc, I'm curious how you or your association address the following...

Tracking alignment of players on the court.

Assume an official with limited volleyball experience/knowledge. This is a person that hasn't played, hasn't coached, etc, so they haven't really dealt with alignment at all.

I find that many officials (even those with multiple years of experience) have great difficulty with this.

What methods have you or your association used to help VB officials get a handle on this? Online videos? Other training materials?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

My take (from a new official -- now with one year experience):

1) It's a little over-rated, especially at the levels the new official works, and all the other things (e.g., ball handling, back-row attacks) the official needs to learn

2) Don't try to get all six players at first -- it's impossible. First work on just the setter. Then add the setter's opposite. Then add the libero. Try to track / remember Front or Back, and R, L or C.

3) Take a group of six new officials on the court, and show the most common receive formations based on the setter(s)'s locations.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

I completely agree that it is largely a fool's errand to attempt to teach alignment to inexperienced volleyball officials. When I am running clinics for new/newer officials, I explicitly forbid discussion of that topic! There are so many more important things for the new official to master before worrying about alignments.

I should have better asked the question, which is what techniques/strategies have been used successfully for officials that don't have any playing/coaching experience (but aren't brand new to officiating)?

Thanks again,
Tim
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by timasdf View Post
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

I completely agree that it is largely a fool's errand to attempt to teach alignment to inexperienced volleyball officials. When I am running clinics for new/newer officials, I explicitly forbid discussion of that topic! There are so many more important things for the new official to master before worrying about alignments.

I should have better asked the question, which is what techniques/strategies have been used successfully for officials that don't have any playing/coaching experience (but aren't brand new to officiating)?

Thanks again,
Tim
A few things I would recommend:

Definitely learning what formations teams use in serve receive would be a great start. Most teams use similar serve receive patters, so if you can recognize those, you can then realize exactly which positions should be where.

Learn if the serve receive pattern has the setter following the libero, or (much less often), vice versa. That can go a long way toward knowing which player should be where.

Learn which position each player is slotted into. For example, if your service order is setter, outside, middle, then know that #2 is your setter, 6 your outside, 10 your middle, etc. Know which player is your opposite by recognizing that player, not starting at a card. The libero is a good way to set your vision, and is almost always on for the middle, so you can work from there.

Understand certain assumptions, like if your setter is left front, the opposite can't be in middle back.

But most importantly, don't be a slave to your lineup card...I've found it's much better to get information you need from your scorer while you're trying to figure out what exactly you see. This, however, requires you to have a good prematch discussion with your scorer, and let them know how you're going to request certain information (i.e., "Next three on the left" means "Let me know who are the next three servers on the left, so I can determine the front row.").

It takes a while...I've been at this for 17 years, and I'm still working at it, so yes, it's difficult. Just figure out little tricks, and learn those serve receive patters. If you get good enough, you should know where the setter is just by seeing how they line up.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

For someone new to Volleyball, I think they need to understand the strategies of serve receive.

If you understand why they are trying to hide the server, (to make certain she does not get first contact and so she can get to her assigned area) then it is easier to understand the typical shifts and patterns that teams use.

Then understand "who are my next 3?", and server and opposite make more sense as tools to spot players out of position.

I also agree it isn't something a new to volleyball official is going to call. Get the big things right, net call and centerline, and manage subs/table/coaches and a new official is doing great.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2017, 07:05pm
Lighten up, Francis.

My board put together a video that I think is very helpful. You can find it on the training page of the board's website:

Training Opportunities – WNEVO

The video is at the bottom of the web page.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2017, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

I watched the first 9 minutes of this and it's outstanding. I'll get to the rest as I am able.

Thanks for posting this.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2017, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Scapper, one of the best videos I have seen for overlapping. Thank you for sharing.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2017, 09:06am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I watched the first 9 minutes of this and it's outstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
Scapper, one of the best videos I have seen for overlapping. Thank you for sharing.
I agree that it's terrific. I just wish I'd seen it when I was starting out 10 years ago. I'm pretty good at overlaps now, and I recognize every formation in that video, but I never knew what the reasons were for moving the players around like that.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

3 thumbs up??

I must give this video 3 thumbs up. I've been watching and studying it since the link was put up. It allowed me to recognize and call an overlap.

I'm the R1. Player #9 replaces the L, and heads to the LF position. However, she sets up closest to the right sideline of the 3 front row players. I make the call. The coach said nothing because she saw it too, and the team C who was in the group also acknowledges her miss to her teammate.

I've been taught to recognize alignments, but this video is helping to bring them into focus.

Last edited by Lcubed48; Fri Sep 22, 2017 at 09:50am.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I learned more about positioning in that video, than I have in 10 years of officiating VB - I forwarded the URL to our group's clinician.....thanks!