The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Server stepping on line

Play 1: S1 tosses the ball in the air. While the ball is in the air, she moves forward and steps on the line. While her foot is in contact with the line, She realizes her situation and lets the ball fall. Replay?

Play 2: S1 tosses the ball in the air. While the ball is in the air, she moves forward and steps on the line. While her foot is in contact with the line, She realizes her situation and lets the ball fall. But as the ball descends, it contacts her body before it hits the floor. Replay?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take a stab at this.

In both 1) and 2) I do not have a replay. I do, however, have a re-serve.

A related question:

Play 3: S1 tosses the ball in the air. While the ball is in the air, she moves forward and steps on the line. While her foot is in contact with the line, she realizes her situation and moves her foot back behind the line, touching the floor. She then completes an otherwise-legal serve. Illegal serve or play on?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think rule set matters among those that allow re-serves -- only NFHS and USAV under-14 allow re-serves currently, no?

In play 2, I would think you have a foot fault, an illegal serve/hit, and a serve not making it over/net serve (presumably). I would not know which is the proper mechanic to call of the first two, but it is a fault. I see NFHS allows/allowed catching for a reserve, but I don't see how this would qualify as a catch.

In play 1, a foot fault (I'm looking at an old NFHS book) is adjudicated at the time of the contact for service. No service here. The feet shouldn't matter on a dropped re-serve. [Otherwise, I would think that jump servers could really be in trouble if they land before the ball on a missed toss . . . ]
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

In NHFS, there must be an attempt to make contact with the ball. If a ball drops and makes contact with the server, as long as the server did not try and attempt to serve, it is a re-serve. So, both situation 1 and 2 are re-serves.

In the additional question about stepping on the line and then moving the foot back off the line before making contact with the ball, totally legal.

I know it is almost the end of my fall NHFS season but it is nice to see some chatter on the site, even for a little while.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
I know it is almost the end of my fall NHFS season but it is nice to see some chatter on the site, even for a little while.
Agreed.

As a newer VB official, I am somewhat surprised at the lack of postings on this forum. Even the threads that are here don't seem to generate much discussion.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Historically, this site has been pretty robust, at least during the season. Not sure were everyone went. Hopefully, people are just really busy and will come back to the site and start posting/replying again.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped checking in here often, as posts were coming about once a month. Seeing you guys newfound interest, I'll start checking a few times a week.

One reason this board is a little quieter than the others is that (imho) the rules are more straightforward and there are less differences between rule set.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll take a stab at this.

In both 1) and 2) I do not have a replay. I do, however, have a re-serve.

A related question:

Play 3: S1 tosses the ball in the air. While the ball is in the air, she moves forward and steps on the line. While her foot is in contact with the line, she realizes her situation and moves her foot back behind the line, touching the floor. She then completes an otherwise-legal serve. Illegal serve or play on?
I have a re-serve in both 1 and 2. In 3 I have a legally contacted serve.