The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Stepping on the line at throw-in

I thought I knew this but my partner and I had a friendly discussion at the break last night at a 7th grade game on this throw-in violation.

During a throw-in the thrower steps ON the line. I thought no violation because the line is OOB, but if thrower steps OVER the line, then a violation. But partner says if you step on the line you have broken the plane, therefore violation.

I tried to find the specific rule on this but no luck.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry
I thought I knew this but my partner and I had a friendly discussion at the break last night at a 7th grade game on this throw-in violation.

During a throw-in the thrower steps ON the line. I thought no violation because the line is OOB, but if thrower steps OVER the line, then a violation. But partner says if you step on the line you have broken the plane, therefore violation.

It says in the book that the inside edge of the boundary line is where OOB starts. Therefore, the line is OOB. If someone is stepping beyond the line for a throw-in, they are OOB. When they step on the line, nothing has changed. Still OOB.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

think about it this way.... if you are in-bounds and step on the line you are OOB. Thefefore the line is OOB. You may step on the line while inbounding but not over.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Think about when a violation takes place on a throw in when the floor has a solid color painted oob rather than lines painted. I had this discussion with a partner a few years ago.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Your partner is confusing the restrictions on the defender with the restrictions on the thrower. The thrower can step on the line, hold the ball over the line, wave their hand over the line, etc...those restrictions about "breaking the plane" apply to the defense.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Ask your partner what he does when the boundary line is three feet deep; or there isn't a line so much as a paint color change on the floor.

And there's no "plane" violation for the thrower during a throwin. Note how many players do the endline throwin after a made basket: One foot down OOB, and the other off the floor but hanging over inbounds territory.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Ask your partner what he does when the boundary line is three feet deep; or there isn't a line so much as a paint color change on the floor.

And there's no "plane" violation for the thrower during a throwin. Note how many players do the endline throwin after a made basket: One foot down OOB, and the other off the floor but hanging over inbounds territory.
Ha! Beat you by mere seconds!!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The story of my life.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Do we need to ask Mrs. Snaqwells about the mere seconds stuff?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd rather you didn't.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. It's nice to be right once in a while! ;-)
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd rather you didn't.
So you need to work on having a more patient whistle?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While waiting for a varsity game I saw a small town JV guy call a violation for stepping on the line. After the game I asked him why it was a violation. "Uh, you can't step on the line."

So I asked what if the line went all the way to the doorway, do they have to go behind the door? He looked at me like I was from another planet then says, "that's different".

"Okkk"
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Here's something weird. We have a gym at a major HS in this area that has the black wide border around the perimeter, but there is a gap of a few inches inside the border and then your have the actual boundary line. This is the case on all four sides. This means that if a player with the ball, or the ball itself touches the inside line, it's OOB. It can be very confusing to visiting teams. I don't know why they just don't paint the border right up to the line and not have a gap between the two.

Oh wait - that would make sense. Silly me.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Here's something weird. We have a gym at a major HS in this area that has the black wide border around the perimeter, but there is a gap of a few inches inside the border and then your have the actual boundary line. This is the case on all four sides. This means that if a player with the ball, or the ball itself touches the inside line, it's OOB. It can be very confusing to visiting teams. I don't know why they just don't paint the border right up to the line and not have a gap between the two.

Oh wait - that would make sense. Silly me.
More than one like that Mark. Several in Metro & GNW leagues, and all the PIL floors that have been re-done are now that way as well - at least the ones I've seen......