The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Net violation (USAV and PAVO only)????

I am curious on all other officials thoughts on the following play if this would be a net violation or not!!!!!!!!!!

R6 first team contact passes the ball toward the center of the net and above the height of the net to R3 (front row setter). S4 thinks that R3 may dump the ball on the 2nd team contact and goes up to block the ball if R3 is dumping the ball. R3 does not dump the ball (thus does not attack the ball) but sets it to the side of her court to R2 to attack. S4 realizes that the ball is not coming over and relaxes slightly on her way down from the non-blocking attempt and slightly touches the net. What is the call if any?

I have talked to many National officials that said since S4 is in the act of the attempt of blocking the ball then she has committed a net violation when she touches the net whether or not if the ball comes over the net or into the plane of the net.

I tend to disagree because if the player has no ball coming over from the other side of the net after a team's 1st, 2nd or 3rd hit (any attack hit) then she has not made a play on the ball and thus cannot possibly have a net fault since she was not in the act of playing the ball.

(I know if you reach over and block or touch the ball that would be a reach over violation).

Please let me know your interpretation of the rule and this case play!

Am I reading the rule incorrectly?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Net Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1 View Post
I am curious on all other officials thoughts on the following play if this would be a net violation or not!!!!!!!!!!

R6 first team contact passes the ball toward the center of the net and above the height of the net to R3 (front row setter). S4 thinks that R3 may dump the ball on the 2nd team contact and goes up to block the ball if R3 is dumping the ball. R3 does not dump the ball (thus does not attack the ball) but sets it to the side of her court to R2 to attack. S4 realizes that the ball is not coming over and relaxes slightly on her way down from the non-blocking attempt and slightly touches the net. What is the call if any?

I have talked to many National officials that said since S4 is in the act of the attempt of blocking the ball then she has committed a net violation when she touches the net whether or not if the ball comes over the net or into the plane of the net.

I tend to disagree because if the player has no ball coming over from the other side of the net after a team's 1st, 2nd or 3rd hit (any attack hit) then she has not made a play on the ball and thus cannot possibly have a net fault since she was not in the act of playing the ball.

(I know if you reach over and block or touch the ball that would be a reach over violation).

In your description, S4 is in the act of blocking a suspected attack. She made contact with the net that was not incidental--i.e. brushing the net to get into position to play the ball. This is a net fault.

Incidental contact like brushing the net while moving into position to play the ball or hitting the net after returning to the floor from an attempted block or attack is not a net fault.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is in fact a net fault. As described, the blocker is in the act of playing the ball. Whether the ball crosses the net is irrelevant in her act of playing the ball. The rule says nothing about "making a play on the ball". The fault, as described in your situation, should be whistled.

"11.4 PLAYER'S FAULTS AT THE NET
11.4.4. A player interferes with play by (amongst others):
- touching the net between the antennae or the antenna itself during
his/her action of playing the ball,
- using the net between the antennae as a support or stabilizing aid
- creating an unfair advantage over the opponent by touching the net
- making actions which hinder an opponent’s legitimate attempt to play
the ball,
- catching/holding on to the net.
Players close to the ball as it is played, or who are trying to play it, are
considered in the action of playing the ball, even if no contact is made
with the ball.

However, touching the net outside the antenna is not to be considered a
fault (except for Rule 9.1.3)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
Incidental contact like brushing the net while moving into position to play the ball or hitting the net after returning to the floor from an attempted block or attack is not a net fault.
Incorrect. If you're moving to play the ball, you are considered in the act of playing the ball. If you make contact with the net while transitioning into playing the ball (going to block), you are in the act of playing the ball, so the fault is to be whistled. You are no longer to be considered "in the act of playing the ball" when you transition away from the net.

- Brushing the net getting into position to block: fault
- Touching the net on the way up to block: fault
- Touching the net while in the act of blocking: fault
- Touching the net on your way down from blocking: fault
- Landing into the net when you return from the floor: fault
- Brushing the net as you turn away from the net: No fault

It's best to not use words that aren't in the rule verbiage as "incidental" has no relevance to the rule and/or its application.

Last edited by Antonio.King; Mon Mar 21, 2016 at 11:20pm.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question Rule 9 and 11.4.4

If it is a net fault as in rule 11.4.4 in such that a player interferes with play by (amongst others): touching the net between the antennae or the antenna itself during his/her action of playing the ball, and if according to rule 9 PLAYING THE BALL: Each team must play within its own playing area and space and then if the ball never comes into the teams playing area and space as in my case in the original post, I must conclude that this is not a net fault by applying rule 9 and 11.4.4.

Am I reading these 2 rules incorrectly?
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it is a net fault as in rule 11.4.4 in such that a player interferes with play by (amongst others): touching the net between the antennae or the antenna itself during his/her action of playing the ball, and if according to rule 9 PLAYING THE BALL: Each team must play within its own playing area and space and then if the ball never comes into the teams playing area and space as in my case in the original post, I must conclude that this is not a net fault by applying rule 9 and 11.4.4.

Rules 9 and 11.4 are talking about two different things and only one of which applies to the net, and it's rule 11.4. Rule 9 has to do with actually playing the ball, and the ball only.

You can't conjoin two separate rules that discuss two separate things to form a ruling on one situation that applies to only one rule.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:

So if a blocker penetrates and nets on a block and the ball never reaches the blocker's playing area, there's no violation?

Antonio is correct with his answers.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee