View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Net violation (USAV and PAVO only)????

I am curious on all other officials thoughts on the following play if this would be a net violation or not!!!!!!!!!!

R6 first team contact passes the ball toward the center of the net and above the height of the net to R3 (front row setter). S4 thinks that R3 may dump the ball on the 2nd team contact and goes up to block the ball if R3 is dumping the ball. R3 does not dump the ball (thus does not attack the ball) but sets it to the side of her court to R2 to attack. S4 realizes that the ball is not coming over and relaxes slightly on her way down from the non-blocking attempt and slightly touches the net. What is the call if any?

I have talked to many National officials that said since S4 is in the act of the attempt of blocking the ball then she has committed a net violation when she touches the net whether or not if the ball comes over the net or into the plane of the net.

I tend to disagree because if the player has no ball coming over from the other side of the net after a team's 1st, 2nd or 3rd hit (any attack hit) then she has not made a play on the ball and thus cannot possibly have a net fault since she was not in the act of playing the ball.

(I know if you reach over and block or touch the ball that would be a reach over violation).

Please let me know your interpretation of the rule and this case play!

Am I reading the rule incorrectly?