The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Careful about umpire assignments. This is a four-umpire crew. See the clip at about 0:22.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Thu Jun 11, 2015 at 05:50pm.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I watched a replay of the entire game yesterday and there was nothing done out of the ordinary by the black team to retaliate for. There were a couple of steal attempts at 2nd where F6 got slid into, but nothing malicious about the slide and F6 was putting her foot in front of the base before she had the ball. Borderline obstruction with the ball getting there just a fraction before the runner.

But, being as it was a replay it was edited and nothing of the 2 knockdowns was ever shown other than just the general play. I have read the umpire did talk to the blue team coach after the black teams coach pitched a fit but none of that was on the replay.
Wow talked to the coach. The conversation should have been "You need to get a new catcher suited up"
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Careful about umpire assignments. This is a four-umpire crew. See the clip at about 0:22.
Which makes missing those plays WORSE, if at all possible...
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

This catcher already has a college softball scholarship lined up it seems.

If that program had any integrity, she'd be looking for a new place to play about now.

As for the umpiring -- what's the mechanic for 4-man (knowing that no real softball actually does 4-man)? Would U2 chase, U3 cover second, the PU cover third, and U1 cover the plate? That would be the baseball rotation when U2 goes out, but I know nothing about softball, having not umpired a softball game since the late 90s.

Well, I know that's a cheap shot (actually, two) by the catcher.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

If that program had any integrity, she'd be looking for a new place to play about now.

As for the umpiring -- what's the mechanic for 4-man (knowing that no real softball actually does 4-man)? Would U2 chase, U3 cover second, the PU cover third, and U1 cover the plate? That would be the baseball rotation when U2 goes out, but I know nothing about softball, having not umpired a softball game since the late 90s.

To my knowledge, ISF (International) is the only softball organization with current 4 umpire mechanics. In that, U2 chases the "V"; if chased, yes, U3 to 2nd, PU to 3rd, U1 to plate.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...If that program had any integrity, she'd be looking for a new place to play about now...
Oh, I dunno... she'd fit right in at UT! (ducks and runs for cover...)
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Oh, I dunno... she'd fit right in at UT! (ducks and runs for cover...)
True words.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
... and now spread all over the internet.
Sports talk radio this morning in Phila, discussed negatively about 5 minutes in the "weasel of the week" segment.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
I didn't see that until I slow motioned the video. You are correct. That honestly makes it that much worse that 4 umpires on the field all allowed this completely unsportsmanlike and malicious act to occur.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From what I heard, she is (maybe was) a verbal to Sam Houston St. I can't confirm that as it came from another board. Either way I would be taking a serious look at her and how she fits with the values of my program if I was a coach. Thankfully for the school, as a verbal commitment there is no obligation on either party to follow through. Hopefully this catcher learns a lesson from this and doesn't become another Jayru Campbell.

For those who don't know the Jayru Campbell story. He was offered a scholarship to play QB at MSU very early after leading Detroit Cass Tech to a couple state titles. He punched a player for Detroit Catholic Central in the handshake line after the state title game and IIRC was suspended one game or two. He then went on to body slam a security guard at the school who tried getting him to remove his hoody in school. He was arrested and spent several months in jail. When he was released he was immediately reinstated at Cass Tech (in violation of Michigan State Law). On his first day back he got into an altercation with his girl friend and was arrested for domestic violence in the school. MSU pulled his scholarship offer and now he may be headed to the New Mexico Military Institute. Hopefully they can straighten him out. They do have a history of QB success as they also produced a young man by the name of Roger Staubach, who later won a Heisman Trophy at Navy.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2015, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
For those who don't know the Jayru Campbell story. He was offered a scholarship to play QB at MSU very early after leading Detroit Cass Tech to a couple state titles. He punched a player for Detroit Catholic Central in the handshake line after the state title game and IIRC was suspended one game or two. He then went on to body slam a security guard at the school who tried getting him to remove his hoody in school. He was arrested and spent several months in jail. When he was released he was immediately reinstated at Cass Tech (in violation of Michigan State Law). On his first day back he got into an altercation with his girl friend and was arrested for domestic violence in the school. MSU pulled his scholarship offer and now he may be headed to the New Mexico Military Institute. Hopefully they can straighten him out. They do have a history of QB success as they also produced a young man by the name of Roger Staubach, who later won a Heisman Trophy at Navy.
It took three instances of being a dirt-bag and jail time before MSU decided to pull the offer?

That tells me just as much about MSU's lack of integrity as it does the player's.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It took three instances of being a dirt-bag and jail time before MSU decided to pull the offer?

That tells me just as much about MSU's lack of integrity as it does the player's.
Actually I think the scholarship was pulled after the body slamming incident. The Domestic Violence at the school occurred after the scholarship was pulled, but I'm sure it really turned off a lot of programs who are more dirtbagish than MSU and there are some (I'm a Michigan fan).
Old Sun Jun 14, 2015, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is cute that anyone believes that the American attention span would last long enough that this incident will be remembered in a year when this girl can sign her actual letter of intent.

I is also cute that we, the people involved in the sport, think that there is as much attention paid to our sport as we think there is.

In a year, this girl will be sitting in the third row of athletes behind a table signing her letter with a bunch of , Football, and basketball players in the spot light and no one will even know who she is, let alone what she did in a game on the internet during two plays.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
I think it is cute that anyone believes that the American attention span would last long enough that this incident will be remembered in a year when this girl can sign her actual letter of intent.
It depends. Seeing it now may get her crossed off a list of possible recruits at some schools. OTOH, if someone in the sport was hiding under a rock for the past two weeks and did not see this, it wouldn't matter

Quote:

I is also cute that we, the people involved in the sport, think that there is as much attention paid to our sport as we think there is.
Been telling the carrot chasers and "my daughter is going to play in the Olympics group this for years. It is a much smaller world than many of those in the sport realize, however this incident was covered by media outside the sport which certainly doesn't help.

Quote:
In a year, this girl will be sitting in the third row of athletes behind a table signing her letter with a bunch of , Football, and basketball players in the spot light and no one will even know who she is, let alone what she did in a game on the internet during two plays.
Well, I doubt that since they don't necessarily share the same dates.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

This was in the local paper concerning the player:

After a video of her apparently elbowing opponents went viral this week, catcher Megan Crosby has been disciplined by the Needville Independent School District.

Crosby's penalty wasn't specified, but Needville ISD superintendent Curt Rhodes said disciplinary action has been taken against Crosby, who just completed her junior year, for her actions during the Class 4A softball final against Huffman Hargrave. Huffman won the game 6-4.

"This action, which is two isolated incidents, is truly out of her character. We do not support the action, but she is a great young lady,” Rhodes said in a statement. “We strongly support our students and coaches; they are very talented, dedicated people.”

Neither school district has contacted the UIL as far as seeking any sort of punishment. Rhodes did notify the league however, to inform officials of the statement he released.

Rhodes said Crosby has received hate-filled communications and even threats.