The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit4power View Post
..."This action, which is two isolated incidents, is truly out of her character. ... she is a great young lady,”...
So, even the superintendent of schools does not understand sportsmanship.

She did this twice in the same game. These were not "two isolated incidents". (The very phrase is an oxymoron.)

As the late Haywood Hale Broun said, (OK, you know what he said...). This catcher's character was sufficiently revealed.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I doubt that since they don't necessarily share the same dates.[/QUOTE]

Whether the dates are the same or not, the point I was trying to make will be the same.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit4power View Post
This was in the local paper concerning the player:

After a video of her apparently elbowing opponents went viral this week, catcher Megan Crosby has been disciplined by the Needville Independent School District.

Crosby's penalty wasn't specified, but Needville ISD superintendent Curt Rhodes said disciplinary action has been taken against Crosby, who just completed her junior year, for her actions during the Class 4A softball final against Huffman Hargrave. Huffman won the game 6-4.

"This action, which is two isolated incidents, is truly out of her character. We do not support the action, but she is a great young lady,” Rhodes said in a statement. “We strongly support our students and coaches; they are very talented, dedicated people.”

Neither school district has contacted the UIL as far as seeking any sort of punishment. Rhodes did notify the league however, to inform officials of the statement he released.

Rhodes said Crosby has received hate-filled communications and even threats.
I have a few comments on this.

First, in regards to the quote from the superintendent of the district. "This action, which is two isolated incidents, is truly out of her character. We do not support the action, but she is a great young lady,”

It would not shock me one bit if off the softball diamond she is a great person. I have known a lot of people who in non-competitive situations were great people, but when they were out on that field or court, they became completely different people. It was part of what made them successful, but at the same time, they risked doing something that everyone would see as a dirty play. Some of my best friends were not the cleanest players in their sport. Would they intentionally hurt someone? No, but at the same time, if you left a bit bruised and battered, they were not disappointed. I suspect this young lady is very similar. Off the field she is a nice person, on the field she is a b. The old saying nice guys finish last does have some validity. It takes some fire to be successful and she crossed the line and deserved to be ejected and punished for her actions.

Now, onto the second portion of the article.

"Rhodes said Crosby has received hate-filled communications and even threats." I have a much bigger issue with this than I do with the inaction of the umpires or the stupid decision making of the catcher, or the fact I think this came from the coach, as there was the dirty slide by another member of the team as well.

These threats were not coming from other teenagers, many were coming from adults from what I've heard. Yes her actions were stupid, but do they deserve threats from adults that have required the police to be called to the family home on multiple occasions? I don't think so. I'm not so sure who had the more childish actions here, the catcher or some adults who have acted much stupider.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
...I'm not so sure who had the more childish actions here, the catcher or some adults who have acted much stupider.
I wouldn't call the threats childish, but stupid, reckless, idiotic, even criminal...

I don't think there is any comparison between the unsporting act on the field and making the reported threats. Some people need to get a grip.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2015, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
...I have known a lot of people who in non-competitive situations were great people, but when they were out on that field or court, they became completely different people....
Being a great person when there is nothing at stake shows little about character. Character is revealed when there is something at risk. She did this twice in the same game in the same circumstances. Clearly, this was not a heat of the moment or heat of the competition act. It was simply a dirty act done when she thought she could get away with it.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2015, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

She screwed up. Give her a break.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2015, 06:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
If it was one time, I would. Twice shows premeditation. That doesn't deserve any kind of break, in my mind.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jun 18, 2015, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
Not at all. Deliberate actions require accountability.

Rita