The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction, and ejection. Easy call. Gotta keep your eyes on the scoring runner even if there is no chance for the defense to make the out.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
http://vype.com/setx/2015/06/06/huff...uers-4a-title/

around the :35 second mark... same teams (likely same game)
PU doesn't seem to like to pull the trigger.
Or, doesn't recognize USC when he sees it.
Looks like it was force play and unecessary contact by R3, I imagine there could be a case made for interference and bang the BR at first base as well if it looked like F2 was trying to make a throw.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Looks like it was force play and unecessary contact by R3, I imagine there could be a case made for interference and bang the BR at first base as well if it looked like F2 was trying to make a throw.
Is that the correct out when we have INT by a runner already declared out?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We have a few of that type of official in my area. They seem to be afraid to create any controversy. Then, before they know it, the game is reeling out of control. One guy also does football (which I do not do) and I asked him seriously one time if he had EVER thrown a flag. Never did get a legitimate reply.

If they're just going out there to go through the motions and get their $x.yy, they're providing a dis-service.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion the slide was enough to get the runner ejected. That was an intentional act to take out the catcher with the dirty slide. I would very likely consider that malicious contact and eject the runner for that act.

The two elbows from the catcher are 100% inexcusable to miss. I looked closely at the video and this is a three umpire system. I don't do much 3 man, but the one thing I do remember is that home plate should always be covered and observed in a 3 man system. (or two man for that matter). I am still not sure the umpire didn't see the first elbow that was thrown and I know darn well he saw the second one unless he was one of the three blind mice.

This was a complete and total miss by the umpire working the plate that the catcher was able to finish the game and wasn't tossed. I am actually a bit shocked I saw the offensive coach still in the 3b box after the second one. I likely would have been tossed for arguing that non-call in an effort to protect my players from obviously dirty play.

Even in a 1 umpire system a play like that should be seen most of the time. The only time I can see missing contact like that at the plate is if there is another play happening at the same time at another base. Totally inexcusable by the umpire to not eject the catcher from that game.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just stunned that a state finals level umpire allowed that play on his field twice.The offensive team's 3rd base coach showed an awful lot of restraint as chapmaja stated.Can't imagine the UIL will let him work the plate again anytime soon in a final after that one.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I think well all seem to agree that the catcher should have been tossed on these plays.

Now, onto the umpiring part of the discuss, rather than the rules aspect.

3 umpire crew, runners on 2nd and 3rd. BU1 is by second base, BU2 is behind third base. Base hit to the outfield, left field side.

What are the responsibilities of each umpire on these play.

First, on either of these would the base umpire by 3rd go out? I can't tell if they did on the first play, but neither did on the second play.

Second, on the second play, the BU at third seems to be in the same place the entire time, and has not moved from his position. He has watched the runner touch third and go home. What should he be looking at now? There is no play coming to third base. Based on the video I have to think he saw the contact at the plate.

Can the BU make the call on this even if the PU did not? Can the coach ask the PU to check with his partners on a situation like that?

I know this is one of those things that is not in the umpires jurisdiction, but we are not talking about a safe or out call here, we are talking about the possibility of ejecting someone for malicious contact?
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That is the same game, and the same PU. And sadly, I must concur with your assessment of him.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, I think well all seem to agree that the catcher should have been tossed on these plays.

Now, onto the umpiring part of the discuss, rather than the rules aspect.

3 umpire crew, runners on 2nd and 3rd. BU1 is by second base, BU2 is behind third base. Base hit to the outfield, left field side.

What are the responsibilities of each umpire on these play.

First, on either of these would the base umpire by 3rd go out? I can't tell if they did on the first play, but neither did on the second play.

Second, on the second play, the BU at third seems to be in the same place the entire time, and has not moved from his position. He has watched the runner touch third and go home. What should he be looking at now? There is no play coming to third base. Based on the video I have to think he saw the contact at the plate.

Can the BU make the call on this even if the PU did not? Can the coach ask the PU to check with his partners on a situation like that?

I know this is one of those things that is not in the umpires jurisdiction, but we are not talking about a safe or out call here, we are talking about the possibility of ejecting someone for malicious contact?

With multiple runners in the three umpire system, and no umpires chases, the umpires will not rotate. PU has home, U1 has first and second, U3 has third. U3 in this situation may not have to move more than a few steps from his starting position. If there is no play at third, then U3 should direct his eyes to any other potential plays on the field to be an extra set of eyes.

This particular play was so blatant and egregious, that I would expect U3, if he saw it, to came in and make the call after it became obvious that PU did not see it.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...This particular play was so blatant and egregious....
... and now spread all over the internet. So, I was wondering... has there been any blow-back in the media or among other high school parents, etc., against this school, demanding some kind of discipline? Has the school's administration even acknowledged anything happened?

(Andy, I just used your post as the setup to my question. The question is really directed to any Texas umpires or others with knowledge of the situation.)

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Jun 11, 2015 at 11:41am.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I did see the earlier video of the blue uniform catcher getting her legs intentionaly taking out on the force play at the plate with no call.
The elbows that later came at the plate was certainatly retaliation for her getting legs taken out earlier in the game.
Some athletes take contact a little more personal and not just ignored as part of the game. Call it and at least talk and warn.
Haven't seen all the video, but on the first elbow, I'll assume U1 was counter rotated and U3 chased.
C has responsibility for touch at the plate and all other plays at 3rd and home.
Weve all had one or two weve missed, but those are the type of infraction that could of resulted in some serious injury and liability.

Last edited by roadking; Thu Jun 11, 2015 at 12:39pm.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
The elbows that later came at the plate was certainatly retaliation for her getting legs taken out earlier in the game.
They aren't retaliation. The same team committed all three acts. The blue team was on offense when the catcher's legs were taken out on the force. The blue team was on defense when the catcher gave the elbows.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
They aren't retaliation. The same team committed all three acts. The blue team was on offense when the catcher's legs were taken out on the force. The blue team was on defense when the catcher gave the elbows.
Whoops, I missed that! Thx.
I did read report on a news website site, that a witness to the game indicated it was retaliation from a prior play, obvisouly it wasn't one of those three play.

Last edited by roadking; Thu Jun 11, 2015 at 01:39pm.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
She was one of Olbermann's Worse/Worser/Worst yesterday - as the Worser....

And he was nice enough not to give out her name - shes only a Junior....
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Whoops, I missed that! Thx.
I did read report on a news website site, that a witness to the game indicated it was retaliation from a prior play, obvisouly it wasn't one of those three play.
I watched a replay of the entire game yesterday and there was nothing done out of the ordinary by the black team to retaliate for. There were a couple of steal attempts at 2nd where F6 got slid into, but nothing malicious about the slide and F6 was putting her foot in front of the base before she had the ball. Borderline obstruction with the ball getting there just a fraction before the runner.

But, being as it was a replay it was edited and nothing of the 2 knockdowns was ever shown other than just the general play. I have read the umpire did talk to the blue team coach after the black teams coach pitched a fit but none of that was on the replay.