The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 02:11pm
Call it as I see it.

Interference on pop up foul

ASA Rule Set
Bases loaded the runner on 3rd is off base on the pitch when the batter hits a pop up down 3rd base line which. The runner is attempting to get back to the base but interferes with the 3rd baseman going to the ball who was playing in front of the bag. The ball ultimately landed foul just beyond the base.

I ruled interference on the runner runner is out. What should have been done with the Batter?

I talked to my local DUIC but not so sure of his ruling which I will post later.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
ASA Rule Set
Bases loaded the runner on 3rd is off base on the pitch when the batter hits a pop up down 3rd base line which. The runner is attempting to get back to the base but interferes with the 3rd baseman going to the ball who was playing in front of the bag. The ball ultimately landed foul just beyond the base.

I ruled interference on the runner runner is out. What should have been done with the Batter?

I talked to my local DUIC but not so sure of his ruling which I will post later.
8.7.J EXCEPTION (listed in book after L, but applies J-L)
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 02:47pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I do not remember reading "L" that confirms what my DUIC said.

I had never had this situation told both coaches that I was not sure about Batter Runner so it was decided to put her on first as if it was a routine interference call. Thankfully the game was a blowout.

Thank you Steve.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I had never had this situation told both coaches that I was not sure about Batter Runner so it was decided to put her on first as if it was a routine interference call. Thankfully the game was a blowout.

Thank you Steve.
I don't have the book in front of me, but I think it is one of two possibilities.

One, runner is out for INT and the batter is returned to the batters box with 1 additional strike for a foul ball.

Two, the runner is out on the INT and if in the judgment of the umpire, the ball, would have been caught absent the INT, we had an out for that as well.

I think two is actually what I remember the discussion being at a clinic a couple years ago. The rationale was that if we only call the INT we are benefitting the offensive team because it would have been an out anyway on the catch.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA Rule Set

Out for leaving early?
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
For ASA 2015, reorganized: 8-7-J Effect F

NFHS, this would result in the runner is out and a foul ball on the batter (8-6 Penalty).
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thank you Steve.
Just keep in mind that it is rather hard to have a batter given a base on a foul ball.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA Rule Set

I'm sort of surprised no one has asked the position of the ball at the time of the INT. It would only matter if the batter-runner was not declared out on the play.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm sort of surprised no one has asked the position of the ball at the time of the INT. It would only matter if the batter-runner was not declared out on the play.
The question said "FOUL" so I assumed it was foul.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The question said "FOUL" so I assumed it was foul.
The question said it ultimately ended foul... but that's actually irrelevant, given that the play was killed earlier than that. Where was the ball when the play was killed?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 20, 2015, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The question said it ultimately ended foul... but that's actually irrelevant, given that the play was killed earlier than that. Where was the ball when the play was killed?
Given the way everything in the OP was worded, I took it to mean a rather high pop up that F5 should have a relatively easy time coming to make a play on. That was just how I understood the OP.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went with the title of the post and didn't read into it. Seemed clear to me it was foul the whole time. But I get your point.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Given the way everything in the OP was worded, I took it to mean a rather high pop up that F5 should have a relatively easy time coming to make a play on. That was just how I understood the OP.
Me too. But what you say here does not answer the question either. Where was the ball when the INT happened

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me too. But what you say here does not answer the question either. Where was the ball when the INT happened
Since ASA is mentioned in the OP, it does not matter the location of the ball. Two out either way: 8-7-J Effect F.

Quote:
If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball, fair or foul, with ordinary effort, the batter is also out
It does matter for FED and NCAA.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Since ASA is mentioned in the OP, it does not matter the location of the ball. Two out either way: 8-7-J Effect F.
Um .. that's not what MY rulebook says. 2 outs is the effect under "if the interference was, in the umpire's judgement, an attempt to prevent a double play..."

West Houston Mike