The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

New partner

PONY State tournament this weekend. Already have team A mad at me (apparently their batter should be allowed to accidentally interfere with a D3k, but whatever)...

Partner's in "C", grounder to F6, fires to F3. I'm in holding position, ball solidly in F3's glove, no pulled foot.
I bust up for the play at 3rd when I hear behind me "she bobbled it!" (1B coach)
With no play at 3rd, I work my way back to plate, when Partner calls me to him. I think "oh no, don't say it..."

Partner: "did you have a bobble on the transfer?"
Me: "Why ask me that? Has nothing to do with this play."
Partner: "Absolutely it does! Did you have it?"
Me: "Listen to me. If you call that, defense will protest the call and they will win. I don't want that on my field."
He didn't budge. Called the runner safe.

Talking to a brick wall, I walked away. Fortunately, defense was as clueless as he, so no protest.

Anybody here ever overturn a call that was not judgement, but rule interp?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 09:35am
Stirrer of the Pot

I'm confused by your question. This IS a judgment call. You're judging whether or not F3 maintained control of the ball at first base. If you're certain that F3 did control the ball, why didn't you just tell your partner just that?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

My point to him was, she had control of the thrown ball, with foot on the bag, before the runner got there. Bobbling a transfer had ZERO to do with the criteria needed for an out.

When you bring your partner in to ask for his input, have a precise question for him. Did she hold the bag? Did you see daylight between the runner and the sweep tag?

His precise question was a non-factor in whether the out was made.

I did tell him I had control at the time of the out (and he agreed), but he also wanted a controlled transfer. Not relevant.

Not a judgement at that point, but a rule interp.

Sorry if I just said the same thing 5 times...

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 09:59am.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm confused by your question. This IS a judgment call. You're judging whether or not F3 maintained control of the ball at first base. If you're certain that F3 did control the ball, why didn't you just tell your partner just that?
Or is he trying to say the rule is maintaining control throughout the play, not just at the time of the touch/tag?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

You should have simply stuck with "She had control at the time of the out." And if he asked, "did she bobble on the transfer", say, "that's not relevant to this play but I did not see that, I was moving to my possible play at third after the out was secured at first"... or maybe something less wordy.

But as to your actual question, YES, you (if you are UIC, and not simply PU) have the responsibility to fix a known mistaken rule interpretation. If you don't have a designated UIC or Crew Chief (not all areas do) for the game, your rules argument is simply your interp against his ... and while we all know, here, that your interp is right --- on the field how do you know who is right when 2 people simply have 2 differing interpretations of a rule (one is right, one is wrong ... but the PU is not right by definition).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:03pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
When you bring your partner in to ask for his input, have a precise question for him. Did she hold the bag? Did you see daylight between the runner and the sweep tag?
Okay, that is what I ask of the coach who comes to me with a concern over my call. I don't require the same thing from my partner! We're a team out there, and we need to be able to discuss the whole play to get the call right. Making those kinds of demands for "precise questions" with nothing else that you consider superfluous is a short road to losing your partner's desire to work with you, IMHO.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, that is what I ask of the coach who comes to me with a concern over my call. I don't require the same thing from my partner! We're a team out there, and we need to be able to discuss the whole play to get the call right. Making those kinds of demands for "precise questions" with nothing else that you consider superfluous is a short road to losing your partner's desire to work with you, IMHO.
I disagree. You should never go to your partner if you don't have a specific question in mind. "What did you see?" is the worst question ever, and it makes me cringe when my partner asks that.

If coach gets him to come to me, it should be because of something specific - therefore the question to us should be specific as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:32pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree. You should never go to your partner if you don't have a specific question in mind. "What did you see?" is the worst question ever, and it makes me cringe when my partner asks that.
Yes, those make me cringe as well. But I will respond with, "What did the coach want you to get help with?" and not with, "What is your precise question?"

I guess I just took jmkupka's tone wrong (problem with internet discussion boards). I read it as, "Don't come to me unless you have a precise question; othewise, go back to your position." My point was we should be a little more forgiving when we talk to each other about a play, and not treat each other like coaches.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PONY State tournament this weekend. Already have team A mad at me (apparently their batter should be allowed to accidentally interfere with a D3k, but whatever)...
I'm more interested in this part. What happened there?

Rit
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped 3rd strike, ball bounced forward, got tangled up in B/R's feet & shot to the side a bit as F2 was reaching for it.
A glancing contact might be ignored, however this did interfere with F2's attempt to retrieve it.

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 23, 2014 at 04:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dropped 3rd strike, ball bounced forward, got tangled up in B/R's feet & shot to the side a bit as F2 was reaching for it.
A glancing contact might be ignored, however this did interfere with F2's attempt to retrieve it.
Um ... what?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That would not be interference if it were not intentional.

What rule code? Does Pony have it's own?

Rita
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Found the PONY softball rule code. 8-3

Not interference.

Rita
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
That would not be interference if it were not intentional.

What rule code? Does Pony have it's own?

Rita
The PONY (8.7.h) rule is like the other association, intent is not necessary.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The PONY (8.7.h) rule is like the other association, intent is not necessary.
I didn't want to assume. I knew it wasn't part of any code I do use.

Rita