The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 21, 2014, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction on last play of inning

This happened today and I wondered what the mechanics would be if it was twisted slightly. Utrip tourney but I don't think it makes a difference. R1 on 2nd. R2 on 1st. 2 outs. B1 hits a gapper. As R1 rounds third she is obstructed by F5 (I signal) and she continues toward home. Then R2 to tries to stretch her advance to 3rd. She is thrown out for the 3rd out of the inning, but plate ump says runner just crossed the plate before the out, run counts. All is hunky dory.

But what if R1 didn't score before the 3rd out? She was obstructed. Simply announce the obstruction, award home, and count the out at third as the third out of the inning?

This is probably straightforward, but just wondering.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
This happened today and I wondered what the mechanics would be if it was twisted slightly. Utrip tourney but I don't think it makes a difference. R1 on 2nd. R2 on 1st. 2 outs. B1 hits a gapper. As R1 rounds third she is obstructed by F5 (I signal) and she continues toward home. Then R2 to tries to stretch her advance to 3rd. She is thrown out for the 3rd out of the inning, but plate ump says runner just crossed the plate before the out, run counts. All is hunky dory.

But what if R1 didn't score before the 3rd out? She was obstructed. Simply announce the obstruction, award home, and count the out at third as the third out of the inning?

I think you are saying that ITUJ R1 did not reach home in time because of the OBS. Then, probably what you said.
Otherwise, the OBS means nothing.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think you are saying that ITUJ R1 did not reach home in time because of the OBS. Then, probably what you said.
Otherwise, the OBS means nothing.
I agree with you and would call it that way. I think if I called it this way (have never seen it happen), I'd be backed up around here. But is this at all justifiable given the rules?
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post

Speaking what I believe would be in most assn., the idea of an OBS call is to negate the impediment of the runner. If in your judgment, the OBS prevented the runner from reaching the plate safely prior to the execution of the 3rd out, the run should be allowed to score.